Re: Explaining the benefits of http-range14 (was Re: [HTTP-range-14] Hyperthing: Semantic Web URI Validator (303, 301, 302, 307 and hash URIs) )

On 10/19/11 3:16 PM, Leigh Dodds wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 19 October 2011 18:44, Kingsley Idehen<kidehen@openlinksw.com>  wrote:
>>> So, can we turn things on their head a little. Instead of starting out
>>> from a position that we *must* have two different resources, can we
>>> instead highlight to people the *benefits* of having different
>>> identifiers?
>> But you don't have two different resources. Please correct me if I am
>> reading you inaccurately here, but are you saying that:
>>
>> http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked Data and http://dbpedia.org/page/Linked
>> Data == two different resources?
>>
>> I see:
>>
>> 1. 2 URIs
>> 2. a generic URI (serving as a Name) and a purpose specific URI called a URL
>> that serves as a data access address -- still two identifiers albeit split
>> by function .
> RFC3983:
>
> "A Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) is a compact sequence of
> characters that identifies an abstract or physical resource."

Yes, I agree with that.
> 2 URIs, therefore 2 resources.

I disagree with your interpretation though.

Identifiers are names / handles. Thus, you have Names that resolve to
actual data albeit via different levels of indirection.

http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_Data and
http://dbpedia.org/page/Linked_Data are routes to different
representations of the same data. /resource/ (handle or name) is an
indirect access route while /page/ is direct (address i.e., a location
name) albeit with representation specificity i.e., HTML in the case of
DBpedia.

I am very happy that we've been able to narrow our differing views to
something very concrete. Ultimately, we are going to arrive at clarity,
and that's all that matters to me, fundamentally.

Some links:

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identifier -- Identifier (a URI is an
Identifier)
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indirection -- Indirection