Re: Explaining the benefits of http-range14 (was Re: [HTTP-range-14] Hyperthing: Semantic Web URI Validator (303, 301, 302, 307 and hash URIs) )

On 19 Oct 2011, at 17:59, Leigh Dodds wrote:

> Hi,
<snip>

> So, can we turn things on their head a little. Instead of starting out
> from a position that we *must* have two different resources, can we
> instead highlight to people the *benefits* of having different
> identifiers? That makes it more of a best practice discussion and one
> based on trade-offs: e.g. this class of software won't be able to
> process your data correctly, or you'll be limited in how you can
> publish additional data or metadata in the future.
>
> I don't think I've seen anyone approach things from that perspective,
> but I can't help but think it'll be more compelling. And it also has
> the benefits of not telling people that they're right or wrong, but
> just illustrate what trade-offs they are making.
>
> Is this not something we can do on this list?
I am pretty sure you will find that the answer is no, "we" can't.
Much as I and many others on the list might like you to, you will be unable to create a new thread and maintain it on the topic you wish.
This list is dysfunctional, at least in this respect, and you will find it is in the responses.
Best
Hugh

--
Hugh Glaser,