Re: Explaining the benefits of http-range14 (was Re: [HTTP-range-14] Hyperthing: Semantic Web URI Validator (303, 301, 302, 307 and hash URIs) )

Hi,

>>> http://dbpedia.org/page/Linked
>>> Data == two different resources?
>>>
>>> I see:
>>>
>>> 1. 2 URIs
>>> 2. a generic URI (serving as a Name) and a purpose specific URI called a
>>> URL
>>> that serves as a data access address -- still two identifiers albeit
>>> split
>>> by function .
>>
>> RFC3983:
>>
>> "A Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) is a compact sequence of
>> characters that identifies an abstract or physical resource."
>
> Yes, I agree with that.
>>
>> 2 URIs, therefore 2 resources.
>
> I disagree with your interpretation though.

But I'm not interpreting anything there. The definition is a URI
identifies a resource. Ergo two different URIs identify two resources.

Whether those resources might be related to one another, or even
equivalent is an entirely different matter.

> Identifiers are names / handles. Thus, you have Names that resolve to actual
> data albeit via different levels of indirection.
>
> http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_Data and
> http://dbpedia.org/page/Linked_Data are routes to different representations
> of the same data. /resource/ (handle or name) is an indirect access route
> while /page/ is direct (address i.e., a location name) albeit with
> representation specificity i.e., HTML in the case of DBpedia.
>
> I am very happy that we've been able to narrow our differing views to
> something very concrete. Ultimately, we are going to arrive at clarity, and
> that's all that matters to me, fundamentally.

*That* all seems to be interpretation to me.

Cheers,

L.

--
Leigh Dodds