Re: FW: Failed to port datastore to RDF, will go Mongo

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 14:40 -0600, Juan Sequeda wrote:
> Ben,
>

> Just like we can
>

> 1) download xampp and install php, apache, mysql with one click
> 2) open a browser, open phpmyadmin, create my db
> 3) copy paste any snippet of code I can find on the web about
> connecting php/java etc to a mysql database
> 4) write code to select/insert/update my db
>

> ... you are asking for these same 4 simple steps but for an RDF
> database?

Not me personally, but in my experience of talking to developers in the
HE/FE sector as well as commercial devs through JISC, running Dev8D and
so on, being able to achieve those steps in the manner you have
suggested is crucial.

Yes, I exaggerated about my hearing the same tale a thousand times, but
I have heard that perception of RDF/triplestores many, many times as
unfounded as some may argue it is.

This will sound like heresy, but the closest parallel I've found to step
1) is with mulgara (excepting that a Java runtime of some sort is
required.) Run the jar, open browser, and run through the web-based
examples that cover input, update and query.

Ben