Ookaboo does #it

From: Paul Houle <ontology2@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 10:45:07 -0500
To: Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>
Ookaboo has recently grown to contain about 480,000 pictures of
265,000 topics,  we're adding 8,000 images a day so if you don't find
what you're looking for today,  just wait a few months.  People and
places are particularly well represented,  but you'll also find
"miscelaneous" things like

We've just done a major upgrade of our RDFa output at Ookaboo.  For
one thing,  we've clarified the relationship between a page

and the thing that a page describes

We can then say,

<ookaboo:topic/2021903/Central_Air_Force_Museum> <sioc:topic>
<ookaboo:topic/2021903/Central_Air_Force_Museum#it> .

Generally,  we make SIOC assertion about web pages and other sorts of
assertions about #it topics.  The primary FOAF assertion we're making
right now is <foaf:depitcts>,  but we're planning to make as many FOAF
assertions as possible about #it topics,  particularly about people.
The other class of page that is heavily marked up now is the
individual page.

Our strategy for dealing with multiple subject terminologies is to
what we call a reference set,  which in this case is

If we want to assert foaf:depicts we assert foaf:depicts against all
of these.  The idea is that not all clients are going to have the
inferencing capabilities that I wish they'd have,  so I'm trying to
assert terms in the most "core" databases of the LOD cloud.

In a case like this we may have YAGO,  OpenCyc,  UMBEL and other terms
available.  Relationships like this are expressed as

<:Whatever> <ontology2:aka>
<http://mpii.de/yago/resource/Central_Air_Force_Museum> .

<ontology2:aka>,  not dereferencable yet,  means (roughly) that "some
people use term X to refer to substantially the same thing as term Y."
 It's my own answer to the <owl:sameAs> problem and deliberately
leaves the exact semantics to the reader.  (It's a lossy expression of
the data structures that I use for entity management)

Any thoughts or suggestions about what I should be doing differently or better?