Contd: A URI(Web ID) for the semantic web community as a foaf:Group

KangHao Lu (Kenny) wrote:
> [SNIP]

> The point is we don't want machine generated URIs (sorry I can't see
> what's inside <http://community.linkeddata.org/ods> cause it's down
> for the moment). We should have triples like
Please note, I was trying to tell you that there once lived a Linked
Data Space that was put in place for dog-fooding. It came to be in 2008
prior to WWW2008 in Beijing.

As I said, Tom Heath nuked it, you should be able to find the thread
about this via mailing list archives.

Please digest what I am saying.

> <http://linkeddata.org/data#swig> foaf:member
> <http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i>.
> <http://linkeddata.org/data#swig> foaf:member
> <http://bblfish.net/people/henry/card#me> .
> <http://linkeddata.org/data#swig> foaf:member
> <http://dig.csail.mit.edu/People/kennyluck#I> .
> <http://linkeddata.org/data#swig>
> foaf:member<http://kidehen.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen#this> .
Yes, I do understand all of that :-)

And even more, I await the RDF data at this URL:
<http://linkeddata.org/data> <http://linkeddata.org/data#swig>

> that is, URIs of different domains in the proposed file already,
> without asking these people to make the updates (this makes things
> easier, you know, for example, timbl would be too busy to even make
> such a little update). The rest depends on what's inside the FOAFs
> (bblfish, you ought to make DOAP for your projects and add links from
> yourself to those projects!!) We can use machine generated URIs, but
> we need to manually maintain those owl:sameAs mappings anyway.
>
>> All you have to do is walk through the LOD mail archives to see how
>> it came to an end. Tom Heath didn't want it there, and as far as I
>> was concerned, I simply wasn't interested in grappling with him; its
>> his domain (bottom line) and he has the right to do whatever with it
>> (my last comments in an old mail thread about this matter).
> I suppose you meant
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2008Apr/0116.html ?
> Could you give me another pointer if I am wrong?
That was about history, the Linked Data Space has long gone. Of course,
I can make another one, but I am not going to use linkeddata.org, after
my last experience.

> I guess Tom was simply unwilling to set up a system as huge as ODS. My
> proposal only requires a little space for plain-text N3. Anyway, I
> want to ask "what SWIG people are doing?" as fast as possible, so I
> prefer a simple approach.
Why speak for Tom? Why jump to conclusions about ODS? This has little to
do with ODS (since http://community.linkeddata.org was just a DNS entry
mapped to a space I set up).

Can't get an N3 representation of my profile at:
<http://kingsley.idehen.name/dataspace/person/kidehen> or
<http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen> ? Both of which
are produced by ODS post account creation with FOAF+SSL to boot, all in
5 minutes or less.

> I could place this file in the domain of my organization, or we can
> ask W3C people to make such a little file. The choice of
> linkeddata.org is because it somehow represents our community, since
> it's the first hit.
>
>> Dog-fooding is what I sought, but I can only assume, my objectives
>> where totally unclear.
>>
>> There is a strange irony that continues to play out with this thing
>> called the World Wide Web, it doesn't have an eraser, but we continue
>> to act as though it does or we can't be bothered to lookup the past
>> (even via Google) etc..
> It was a real pain to find the above link. Well, text search is like
> that, very silly. I would be very happy if I have to chance to SIOCize
> W3C mailing lists and make a SPARQL endpoint for that.
Again, dog-fooding, of course you shouldn't need Google, but until you
feel the pain, asking you to perform a Precision Search and Find would
sound like nothing more than a product sales pitch :-)

> Also, when something is brought up again and again, that usually means
> the importance of such thing.

Tell me about it :-)

> Kenny

President & CEO