Re: National Identification Number URIs ( NIN URIs )

Peter Ansell wrote:
> On 8 March 2010 18:34, Bernhard Schandl <bernhard.schandl@univie.ac.at> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mar 8, 2010, at 02:33 , Hugh Glaser wrote:
>>

>>> Design Issue Number 2 (http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html) says:
>>> "Use HTTP URIs so that people can look up those names."
>>> I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.
>>> doi, urn suck.
>>> It is hard to work out what they mean (resolve), and even if I can it is not
>>> a distributed (web) system.
>>>
>> Can you explain in more detail what the problem is with using DOI/URN/...-based identifiers internally, and expose them as de-referenceable HTTP URIs on-the-fly? One can even include a reference to the "plain" URN and thus map distinct datasets to each other based on URNs.
>>
>> For example, let's say I have data about <urn:uuid:70865e3a-ee74-4c8c-90e7-3958c6d06dc4> (not using a privacy-sensible identifier by purpose), and you have data about the same resource. Now, I expose this data via my Linked Data server, dynamically rewrite the URN and include a sameas triple, like
>>
>> <http://my.server.com/urn:uuid:70865e3a-ee74-4c8c-90e7-3958c6d06dc4> owl:sameAs <urn:uuid:70865e3a-ee74-4c8c-90e7-3958c6d06dc4>
>>
>> and you do the same,
>>
>> <http://your.server.com/urn:uuid:70865e3a-ee74-4c8c-90e7-3958c6d06dc4> owl:sameAs <urn:uuid:70865e3a-ee74-4c8c-90e7-3958c6d06dc4>
>>
>> we have fulfilled all Linked Data principles and can link our resources easily via the transitive sameAs closure.
>>

> To fulfill Linked Data principles you would have to link your HTTP URI
> directly to the other server's HTTP URI. Linked Data is designed to
> avoid the issue in your example. In your example the fact that there
> is a link can only be figured out using some external service that
> knows about both data sources. If your server was Linked Data and not
> just an HTTP URI based RDF database then it would link out using HTTP
> URI's and both servers could be directly explored without some
> external service.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter

General comment:

My world view:

HTTP based Linked Data is about the ability to browse an Entity
Relationship Graph via E-A-V graph traversal, courtesy of the intrinsic
capabilities that Generic HTTP URIs accord. The capability in question
simply boils down to this: Using the same Identifier for Naming a Data
Object and Accessing its Structured Data Representation.

Nothing above implies that the canonical DBMS records have to HTTP URI
based.  HTTP based Linked Data is just a View mechanism (and I don't
imply Read Only either since View can take many forms).

President & CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen