Re: National Identification Number URIs ( NIN URIs )

On 8 March 2010 18:34, Bernhard Schandl <bernhard.schandl@univie.ac.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mar 8, 2010, at 02:33 , Hugh Glaser wrote:
>
>> Design Issue Number 2 (http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html) says:
>> "Use HTTP URIs so that people can look up those names."
>> I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.
>> doi, urn suck.
>> It is hard to work out what they mean (resolve), and even if I can it is not
>> a distributed (web) system.
>
> Can you explain in more detail what the problem is with using DOI/URN/...-based identifiers internally, and expose them as de-referenceable HTTP URIs on-the-fly? One can even include a reference to the "plain" URN and thus map distinct datasets to each other based on URNs.
>
> For example, let's say I have data about <urn:uuid:70865e3a-ee74-4c8c-90e7-3958c6d06dc4> (not using a privacy-sensible identifier by purpose), and you have data about the same resource. Now, I expose this data via my Linked Data server, dynamically rewrite the URN and include a sameas triple, like
>
> <http://my.server.com/urn:uuid:70865e3a-ee74-4c8c-90e7-3958c6d06dc4> owl:sameAs <urn:uuid:70865e3a-ee74-4c8c-90e7-3958c6d06dc4>
>
> and you do the same,
>
> <http://your.server.com/urn:uuid:70865e3a-ee74-4c8c-90e7-3958c6d06dc4> owl:sameAs <urn:uuid:70865e3a-ee74-4c8c-90e7-3958c6d06dc4>
>
> we have fulfilled all Linked Data principles and can link our resources easily via the transitive sameAs closure.

To fulfill Linked Data principles you would have to link your HTTP URI
directly to the other server's HTTP URI. Linked Data is designed to
avoid the issue in your example. In your example the fact that there
is a link can only be figured out using some external service that
knows about both data sources. If your server was Linked Data and not
just an HTTP URI based RDF database then it would link out using HTTP
URI's and both servers could be directly explored without some
external service.

Cheers,

Peter