Re: Best practice for permantently moved resources?

From: John Erickson <olyerickson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 07:35:28 -0400
To: public-lod <public-lod@w3.org>
I realize this is a dangerous question, but...what is the cause of the change?

* Has the "content" actually changed (revision), or simply moved (URI change)?
* Must the content at the "old" URI go away, or can it be represented
as a previous version?

All of this is useful knowledge --- a form of provenance --- and
should not be lost. The question is, how to handle it systematically
and efficiently...

This brings to mind a number of conversations I've had in the
DOI/Handle System alternate reality, in which we've discussed a
vocabulary of types (think: predicates) that could serve as hints to a
HS proxy on what "physical" URI to return to a resolution request,
including and especially as a "smart" way to handle conneg. Not only
could these type assertions help the proxy distinguish between data
vs. document, but it could nicely handle version ala Memento
<http://mementoweb.org/>

My point is not to harp on the Handle System, instead to point out
that the HS (architecturally) builds-in the kind of encapsulation that
can facilitate this --- although the type-based conneg I'm referring
to has only been seriously considered in the past few months (AFAIK).

John

--
John S. Erickson, Ph.D.
http://bitwacker.wordpress.com