Re: Best practice for permantently moved resources?

From: John Erickson <olyerickson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 07:35:28 -0400
To: public-lod <public-lod@w3.org>
I realize this is a dangerous question, but...what is the cause of the change?

* Has the "content" actually changed (revision), or simply moved (URI change)?
* Must the content at the "old" URI go away, or can it be represented
as a previous version?

All of this is useful knowledge --- a form of provenance --- and
should not be lost. The question is, how to handle it systematically
and efficiently...

This brings to mind a number of conversations I've had in the
DOI/Handle System alternate reality, in which we've discussed a
vocabulary of types (think: predicates) that could serve as hints to a
HS proxy on what "physical" URI to return to a resolution request,
including and especially as a "smart" way to handle conneg. Not only
could these type assertions help the proxy distinguish between data
vs. document, but it could nicely handle version ala Memento

My point is not to harp on the Handle System, instead to point out
that the HS (architecturally) builds-in the kind of encapsulation that
can facilitate this --- although the type-based conneg I'm referring
to has only been seriously considered in the past few months (AFAIK).

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 5:12 AM, Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net> wrote:
> Hi all!
> Cool URIs don't change, but cool content does, so the problem surfaces that I
> need to permanently redirect now and then. I discussed this problem in a
> meetup yesterday, and it turns out that people have found dbpedia problematic
> to use because it is too much of a moving target, when a URI changes because
> the underlying concepts change, there's a need for more 301s.
> The problem is then that I need to record the relation between the old and the
> new URI somehow. As of now, it seems that the easiest way to do this would be
> to do something like:
> <http://example.org/old> ex:permanently_moved_to <http://example.org/new>
> and if the former is dereferenced, the server will 301 redirect to the latter.
> Has anyone done something like that, or have other useful experiences relevant
> to this problem?
> Cheers,
> Kjetil

John S. Erickson, Ph.D.