Re: [semanticweb] ANN: DBpedia 3.5 released

On Tue, 2010-04-13 at 21:58 +0300, baran@goldmail.de wrote:
> >> A fact of my experience since many years:
> >>
> >> The homepage of my grandma is better accessible than the flagship(!) of
> >> 'linked data' dbpedia.org...
>
> Someone who has used the endpoint dbpedia.org/sparql intensively
> knows what i mean:
>
> After one or two hours or so, it hangs, i try dbpedia.org with FFox,
> Opera, IE,
> it hangs also, after 5 minutes i try dbpedia.org, i see the page,
> for dbpedia.org/sparql i put my simple query again, it is ok.
>
> Since years it is the same story in the same rhythm.

They say, the everlasting problem for professional cosmetics is growing
quality of optics and media used for movies, celebrities should continue
to look perfect. But I can bet you've never paid attention to that fact
while looking at the final result.

Similarly, growing database size and growing hit rate and growing
complexity of queries are not obviously visible from outside, but turn
the hosting into a race. We're improving the underlaying RDBMS as fast
as we only can just to prevent the service from total halt. One might
wish to provide a better service on their own RDBMS and thus to make a
good advertisement, but nobody else want to do that _and_ can do that,
so we're alone under this load.

If you wish, you may help us with hosting and/or equipment, or simply
set up a mirror site and we would be glad to redirect some part of load
to your cluster. Even an inexpensive $20000 mirror would help to some
degree.

Best Regards,

Ivan Mikhailov
OpenLink Software