Re: Yet Another LOD cloud browser

David Huynh wrote:
> Sherman Monroe wrote:
>> Kingsley wrote:
>>
>>     There are half a dozen Entities across N graphs in the Quad Store.
>>     The UI issue here is that we don't show the source Graphs in the
>>     results page. Reason, we know we can actually provide distinct
>>     results cheaper than listing the Graph Names etc..
>>
>>     Your timing is borderline impeccable, we will actually be
>>     releasing the Distinct optimization that showcases what I mean.
>>     Anyway, for now, when you select one of the Microsofts from
>>     DBpedia graphs, click on the "Stats" link, it will give you a back
>>     door view of where the data has come from.
>>

>> David, also keep in mind that this is one of the benefits of
>> set-based browsing. If I have a results set of twenty synonymous URIs
>> representing Microsoft, for someone researching Microsoft, such a
>> list would be a goldmine, because I can click razorbase ->
>> Information and view all information for all 20 versions of that one
>> entity simultaneously. In fact, when I get sparse results for an
>> entity, I always click the razorbase -> Information -> "Alternative
>> Identities" (e.g. owl:sameAs) and also I look under the reverse
>> properties for the same, to pull any alias that I may not be away of.
> Hi Sherman,
>
> I guess I'm just trying to close the gap between Google's search
> results--which people are familiar with--and  razorbase's or any novel
> search engine's results. For example, when I search for Microsoft on
> Google, the first result not only IS what I want, but also LOOKs like
> what I want. I can make the decision to click on it within maybe 1 or
> 2 seconds.
But what happens when you want an entity associated with pattern:
Microsoft that isn't the highly referenced company: Microsoft, in
google's document index?

The view we have is this:

1. Hook into Google and Yahoo and MSFT for pages and even apply a
weighting or our algorithm so that Google|Yahoo|MSFT first page will be
the same as ours (* this is deliberately not part of the LOD instance
since sponging is disabled for now*)
2. Extend this somewhat popularity skewed algorithm with the ability to
disambiguate  using Entity Type ( Category re. Sherman's UI) and
Properties (Information re. Sherman's UI).

> The URL "www.microsoft.com" in that search result is perhaps the most
> convincing element, as I know only *the* Microsoft can possibly own
> that domain. (This will be a challenge for any SW search engine,
> because no-one can own any URI, and so, seeing a URI alone means
> pretty much nothing.
URI means: here is the Identifier for an Data Object in this Data Space.
It means that a simple click will unravel its essence in a
representation overtly or covertly negotiated between user agent and
data server.
> That's one of the main differences between URL and URI, which is
> usually swept under the rug.)
I hope I've taken it out from under the rug. A URL is a URI :-)

> I believe that these "little details" play a big role in how users
> interact with SW search engines. It's not just that the search engine
> should return the right result, but that it should convince the user
> that the right result is right.

Sure, and hopefully, we will collectively make all of these things
clearer :-)

Kingsley
>>     As always, enjoy chatting with you :-)
>>

>> Indeed, the LOD owes a lot to your work!!
>
> Glad to have helped! :)
>
> David

President & CEO