Re: RDFa vs RDF/XML and content negotiation

From: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:09:43 +0100
To: public-lod@w3.org
On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 13:09 +0200, bill.roberts@planet.nl wrote:

> For any non-trivial amount of data, then we will need a templating
> engine of some sort for either approach.

For my railway data <http://ontologi.es/rail/> I publish static XHTML
+RDFa files (all but two of which are generated by script) and use a
combination of Apache .htaccess files and small PHP scripts to
dynamically generate other formats (JSON, RDF/XML, N-Triples, Turtle) on
request.

e.g.:
	http://ontologi.es/rail/stations/gb/VIC (conneg'd 303 redirect)
	http://ontologi.es/rail/stations/gb/VIC.xhtml (static XHTML)
	http://ontologi.es/rail/stations/gb/VIC.ttl (dynamic Turtle)
	http://ontologi.es/rail/stations/gb/VIC.json?callback=foo (JS)

This approach seems to have worked pretty well for a reasonably large
data set (nearly 7000 XHTML+RDFa pages) and I'd certainly consider using
it again.

I'll try to clean up the scripts, etc involved and share them for others
who wish to use this technique.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>