Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] Fwd: Your message to Dbpedia-discussion awaits moderator approval

Kavitha Srinivas wrote:
> I understand what you are saying -- but some of this reflects the way
> types are associated with freebase instances.  The types are more like
> 'tags' in the sense that there is no hierarchy, but each instance is
> annotated with multiple types.  So an artist would in fact be annotated
> with person reliably (and probably less consistently with
> /music/artist).  Similar issues with Uyhurs, murdered children etc.  The
> issue is differences in modeling granularity as well.  Perhaps a better
> thing to look at are types where the YAGO types map to Wordnet (this is
> usually at a coarser level of granularity).

One way to approach this problem is to use a framework to mix logical
constraints with probabilistic ones.  My colleague Yun Peng has been
exploring integrating data backed by OWL ontologies with Bayesian information,
with applications for ontology mapping.  See [1] for recent papers on this
as well as a recent PhD thesis [2] that I think also may be relevant.

[1] http://ebiquity.umbc.edu/papers/select/search/html/613a353a7b693a303b643a37383b693a313b643a303b693a323b733a303a22223b693a333b733a303a22223b693a343b643a303b7d/
[2] http://ebiquity.umbc.edu/paper/html/id/427/Constraint-Generation-and-Reasoning-in-OWL