Re: ESWC 2008 Linked Data Playground

David Huynh wrote:
> Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>>
>> David Huynh wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Richard,
>>>
>>> If you look at this version
>>>

>>> http://people.csail.mit.edu/dfhuynh/projects/eswc2008/eswc2008-rdf.html
>>>
>>> you'll see that the RDF/XML file is linked directly. So, there's
>>> pretty much zero cost in getting RDF into Exhibit (it took me about
>>> 5 minutes to put that exhibit up). Exhibit automatically routes
>>> RDF/XML files through Babel for conversion. In the first version, I
>>> did that conversion and saved the JSON output so that Babel won't
>>> get invoked every time someone views the exhibit. That's an
>>> optimization. Of course, Babel isn't perfect in doing the conversion.
>>>
>>> Here is an iPhone mockup version for the same exhibit:
>>>
>>> http://people.csail.mit.edu/dfhuynh/projects/eswc2008/iphone/iphone-exhibit.html
>>>
>>> I only tested it on Firefox and Safari. I think the back button
>>> functionality doesn't quite work that well, but you get the idea.
>>>
>>> David
>> David,
>>
>> Even if you don't use RDFa to express what <> is about i.e. it's
>> foaf:primarytopic, foaf:topic etc..
>>
>> In the Exhibit pages <head/> You can accompany:
>> <link
>> href="http://data.semanticweb.org/dumps/conferences/eswc-2008-complete.rdf"
>> type="application/rdf+xml" rel="exhibit/data" />
>> with
>> <link rel="alternate"
>> href="http://data.semanticweb.org/dumps/conferences/eswc-2008-complete.rdf"
>> type="application/rdf+xml" />
>>
>> I think we need to adopt a multi pronged approach to exposing Linked
>> Data (the raw data behind the Web Page):
>>
>> 1. Content Negotiation (where feasible)
>> 2. <link rel=.../>  (for RDF sniffers/crawlers)
>> 3. RDFa
>>

>> Re. point 2, I've just taken a random person "Abhita Chugh
>> <http://demo.openlinksw.com/rdfbrowser2/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fsemanticweb.org%2Fwiki%2FAbhita_Chugh>"
>> from <http://data.semanticweb.org> which exposes the RDF based
>> Description of "Abhita Chugh"
>> <http://demo.openlinksw.com/rdfbrowser2/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fsemanticweb.org%2Fwiki%2FAbhita_Chugh>
>> via our RDF Browser without problems (we use all 3 of the methods
>> above to seek "Linked Data" associated with a Web Document). In this
>> case it also eliminates the need to translate anything (e.g. routing
>> via Babel)  since the original data source is actually RDF.
>>
>> Of course, I could take the exhibit page and slap this in myself, but
>> I am hoping you could tweak Exhibit such that it does point 2 and
>> maybe point 3 automatically. That would be a major boost re.
>> Exhibit's Linked Data credentials :-)
David,
> Exhibit can't do #2 because it only acts on the page at runtime, so
> the author of an exhibit must put that in herself. And that I just did
> for the ESWC 2008 exhibits.
Maybe a note in the usage guide would do. Anything to encourage people
to do this the main goal.

> BTW, Semtech 2008 has a cool Exhibit-backed event browser:
>    http://www.semantic-conference.com/scheduler/
> Maybe future *SWC conferences would have use for the same service.
Yes, and they should be encouraged to point back to the RDF data sources
as suggested.

As you can imagine, I wasn't able to derive my Semantic Web Events
Calendar from the Semantic Technologies conference with as much ease as
I desired. I eventually did the following:

1. Had someone get iCal for the entire event, which I imported into
iCalendar for Mac OS X
2. Published from iCalendar to my desktop to my Briefcase (i.e. WebDAV
part of my ODS based public Data Space) which I simply mounted to my
local Mac OS X
3. Subscribed to the pulished calendar using ODS-Calendar
4. A Linked Data Space for Events
<http://demo.openlinksw.com/rdfbrowser2/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fidehen.net%2Fdataspace%2Fkidehen%2Fcalendar%2FMyCalendar>
(aka a Linked Data Compliant Calendar) is born with my Calendar Data
Space URI <http://idehen.net/dataspace/kidehen/calendar/MyCalendar> as
the Linked Data Space Name (or Data Source Name).

Note: If you look at my Calendar via an RDF Brower, you will notice that
seeAlso is used for paging, so clicking on Page1...N simply adds more
Calendar items to the View.

Semantic Web conferences should showcase basic Semantic Web value
propositions such as: Linked Data. I like the fact that ESWC is taking
this route. I am also looking to ensure something similar happens re.
Linked Data Planet. <http://linkeddataplanet.com>

> So, it'd be good to get lat/lng coordinates for the affiliations and
> then plot the speakers on a map, like what I did for ISWC 2007 (just
> for kicks):
>
> http://people.csail.mit.edu/dfhuynh/projects/graph-based-exhibit/graph-based-exhibit2.html
>
> Now, with all that open linked data, how much work does it take to get
> lat/lng of 2 dozen well-known organizations? Should be trivial, right?
If the organizations and people in data.semanticweb.org expose URIs to
such data, this should be trivial :-)

Kingsley

> David

President & CEO