Re: ESWC 2008 Linked Data Playground

Kingsley Idehen wrote:

> David Huynh wrote:
>>
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> If you look at this version
>>

>> http://people.csail.mit.edu/dfhuynh/projects/eswc2008/eswc2008-rdf.html
>>
>> you'll see that the RDF/XML file is linked directly. So, there's
>> pretty much zero cost in getting RDF into Exhibit (it took me about 5
>> minutes to put that exhibit up). Exhibit automatically routes RDF/XML
>> files through Babel for conversion. In the first version, I did that
>> conversion and saved the JSON output so that Babel won't get invoked
>> every time someone views the exhibit. That's an optimization. Of
>> course, Babel isn't perfect in doing the conversion.
>>
>> Here is an iPhone mockup version for the same exhibit:
>>
>> http://people.csail.mit.edu/dfhuynh/projects/eswc2008/iphone/iphone-exhibit.html
>>
>> I only tested it on Firefox and Safari. I think the back button
>> functionality doesn't quite work that well, but you get the idea.
>>
>> David
> David,
>
> Even if you don't use RDFa to express what <> is about i.e. it's
> foaf:primarytopic, foaf:topic etc..
>
> In the Exhibit pages <head/> You can accompany:
> <link
> href="http://data.semanticweb.org/dumps/conferences/eswc-2008-complete.rdf"
> type="application/rdf+xml" rel="exhibit/data" />
> with
> <link rel="alternate"
> href="http://data.semanticweb.org/dumps/conferences/eswc-2008-complete.rdf"
> type="application/rdf+xml" />
>
> I think we need to adopt a multi pronged approach to exposing Linked
> Data (the raw data behind the Web Page):
>
> 1. Content Negotiation (where feasible)
> 2. <link rel=.../>  (for RDF sniffers/crawlers)
> 3. RDFa
>

> Re. point 2, I've just taken a random person "Abhita Chugh
> <http://demo.openlinksw.com/rdfbrowser2/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fsemanticweb.org%2Fwiki%2FAbhita_Chugh>"
> from <http://data.semanticweb.org> which exposes the RDF based
> Description of "Abhita Chugh"
> <http://demo.openlinksw.com/rdfbrowser2/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fsemanticweb.org%2Fwiki%2FAbhita_Chugh>
> via our RDF Browser without problems (we use all 3 of the methods
> above to seek "Linked Data" associated with a Web Document). In this
> case it also eliminates the need to translate anything (e.g. routing
> via Babel)  since the original data source is actually RDF.
>
> Of course, I could take the exhibit page and slap this in myself, but
> I am hoping you could tweak Exhibit such that it does point 2 and
> maybe point 3 automatically. That would be a major boost re. Exhibit's
> Linked Data credentials :-)
Exhibit can't do #2 because it only acts on the page at runtime, so the
author of an exhibit must put that in herself. And that I just did for
the ESWC 2008 exhibits.

BTW, Semtech 2008 has a cool Exhibit-backed event browser:
    http://www.semantic-conference.com/scheduler/
Maybe future *SWC conferences would have use for the same service.

So, it'd be good to get lat/lng coordinates for the affiliations and
then plot the speakers on a map, like what I did for ISWC 2007 (just for
kicks):

http://people.csail.mit.edu/dfhuynh/projects/graph-based-exhibit/graph-based-exhibit2.html
Now, with all that open linked data, how much work does it take to get
lat/lng of 2 dozen well-known organizations? Should be trivial, right?

David