Re: ESWC 2008 Linked Data Playground

David Huynh wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> If you look at this version
>

> http://people.csail.mit.edu/dfhuynh/projects/eswc2008/eswc2008-rdf.html
>
> you'll see that the RDF/XML file is linked directly. So, there's
> pretty much zero cost in getting RDF into Exhibit (it took me about 5
> minutes to put that exhibit up). Exhibit automatically routes RDF/XML
> files through Babel for conversion. In the first version, I did that
> conversion and saved the JSON output so that Babel won't get invoked
> every time someone views the exhibit. That's an optimization. Of
> course, Babel isn't perfect in doing the conversion.
>
> Here is an iPhone mockup version for the same exhibit:
>
> http://people.csail.mit.edu/dfhuynh/projects/eswc2008/iphone/iphone-exhibit.html
>
> I only tested it on Firefox and Safari. I think the back button
> functionality doesn't quite work that well, but you get the idea.
>
> David
David,

Even if you don't use RDFa to express what <> is about i.e. it's
foaf:primarytopic, foaf:topic etc..

In the Exhibit pages <head/> You can accompany:
<link
href="http://data.semanticweb.org/dumps/conferences/eswc-2008-complete.rdf"
type="application/rdf+xml" rel="exhibit/data" />
with
<link rel="alternate"
href="http://data.semanticweb.org/dumps/conferences/eswc-2008-complete.rdf"
type="application/rdf+xml" />

I think we need to adopt a multi pronged approach to exposing Linked
Data (the raw data behind the Web Page):

1. Content Negotiation (where feasible)
2. <link rel=.../>  (for RDF sniffers/crawlers)
3. RDFa

Re. point 2, I've just taken a random person "Abhita Chugh
<http://demo.openlinksw.com/rdfbrowser2/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fsemanticweb.org%2Fwiki%2FAbhita_Chugh>"
from <http://data.semanticweb.org> which exposes the RDF based
Description of "Abhita Chugh"
<http://demo.openlinksw.com/rdfbrowser2/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fsemanticweb.org%2Fwiki%2FAbhita_Chugh>
via our RDF Browser without problems (we use all 3 of the methods above
to seek "Linked Data" associated with a Web Document). In this case it
also eliminates the need to translate anything (e.g. routing via Babel)
since the original data source is actually RDF.

Of course, I could take the exhibit page and slap this in myself, but I
am hoping you could tweak Exhibit such that it does point 2 and maybe
point 3 automatically. That would be a major boost re. Exhibit's Linked
Data credentials :-)

Kingsley

> Richard Cyganiak wrote:
>>
>> David,
>>
>> On 28 May 2008, at 22:01, David Huynh wrote:
>>> Nice data! I find it useful to look at it this way:
>>>
>>>   http://people.csail.mit.edu/dfhuynh/projects/eswc2008/eswc2008.html
>>
>> Very cool! Can you tell us a little bit about the process of getting
>> from our RDF to this Exhibit? How much manual/expert work did it
>> involve?
>>
>> (Exhibit is awesome for presenting structured data, and I wonder how
>> hard it is in general to get from RDF to Exhibit.)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Richard
>>

>>> Good to see "evaluation" and "interface" big enough in the abstract
>>> word cloud. :-)
>>>
>>> David

President & CEO