Re: Question about MARCXML to Models transformation

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:
> Quoting Ross Singer <ross.singer@talis.com>:
>
>> The LC FRBR Display Tool (
>> http://www.loc.gov/marc/marc-functional-analysis/tool.html#table) only
>> mentions record type and publication language, but surely this isn't
>> enough,
>> right?  This: http://lccn.loc.gov/74194328 isn't describing the same
>> expression as this: http://lccn.loc.gov/97813632, correct?
>

> That's where my bugaboo about the dependency shows up. You can't ever JUST
> look at the Expression, you always have to take into account the
> Expression+Work combination. Otherwise, we'd have half the library universe
> connected to a single expression for an English-language text. Expressions
> on their own are not meaningful. (And Manifestations on their own are only
> minimally meaningful.)

In this example, though, wouldn't the Work be the same?  The both have
the same Uniform Title:

"Im Westen nichts Neues. English"

One is a translation, one is "abridged and adapted", but this only
seems to be defined in the statement of responsibility.

I guess what I'm asking is, given these two MARC records
http://lccn.loc.gov/74194328/marcxml and
http://lccn.loc.gov/97813632/marcxml is there a way, other than
performing heuristics on the 245$c (which I'm not counting out, I'm
just trying to work with some real-life, chosen completely at random,
data and see where we stand), to extract an accurate Expression?

-Ross.