Re: Question about MARCXML to Models transformation

Quoting Ross Singer <ross.singer@talis.com>:

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:
>> Quoting Ross Singer <ross.singer@talis.com>:
>>
>>> The LC FRBR Display Tool (
>>> http://www.loc.gov/marc/marc-functional-analysis/tool.html#table) only
>>> mentions record type and publication language, but surely this isn't
>>> enough,
>>> right?  This: http://lccn.loc.gov/74194328 isn't describing the same
>>> expression as this: http://lccn.loc.gov/97813632, correct?
>>

>> That's where my bugaboo about the dependency shows up. You can't ever JUST
>> look at the Expression, you always have to take into account the
>> Expression+Work combination. Otherwise, we'd have half the library universe
>> connected to a single expression for an English-language text. Expressions
>> on their own are not meaningful. (And Manifestations on their own are only
>> minimally meaningful.)
>>
> In this example, though, wouldn't the Work be the same?  The both have
> the same Uniform Title:
>
> "Im Westen nichts Neues. English"
>
> One is a translation, one is "abridged and adapted", but this only
> seems to be defined in the statement of responsibility.
>
> I guess what I'm asking is, given these two MARC records
> http://lccn.loc.gov/74194328/marcxml and
> http://lccn.loc.gov/97813632/marcxml is there a way, other than
> performing heuristics on the 245$c (which I'm not counting out, I'm
> just trying to work with some real-life, chosen completely at random,
> data and see where we stand), to extract an accurate Expression?

OK, Now I think I get it.

Basically, I'm not sure you can extract an accurate Expression from
most MARC records, especially since they themselves may be inaccurate.
This one is especially interesting for transformations (and I'm not
exactly sure what the cataloging rules would say). In most cases, the
100 field has the Work creator. In this case, the 100 field seems to
have the creator of the adaptation, which MIGHT be considered an
Expression, with this person as the author of the expression. How you
would get that, accurately, out of the MARC data is beyond me.

There is a uniform title which should connect to the Work title, but
the authors would be different. It's quite possible that this MARC
record is WRONG in how it has represented the Work. It's also possible
that it's right, and all bets are off.

This is an example of where MARC doesn't allow catalogers to say what
RDA and FRBR want: there isn't a way to create a relationship between
the M E & W. It may be inherent in the record (if you know how to read
it) but it isn't there as data.

kc

--
Karen Coyle