Comments on LLD XG Final Report : curation and preservation

From: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 12:08:13 +0200
To: public-lld <public-lld@w3.org>
Hi all

Pretty much impressed by the draft I just took the time to browse in
The focus of this message is the final section
Seems to me, given the importance of this, it's too bad it come just at the
end of the document. In particular the long-term preservation of
Vocabularies and their URIs represents a new and critical type of digital
preservation, in which libraries have to play a central role, if they don't
want to see it taken by private initiatives of big corporations, ŕ la
So far the issue has been poorly addressed, with the notable exception of
DCMI, including the recent agreement for the long-time preservation of FOAF.

I don't know what is the state of the Executive Summary, but how about
having at least one sentence in it dedicated to this new role of libraries?

Bernard Vatant
Senior Consultant
Vocabulary & Data Integration
Tel:       +33 (0) 971 488 459