Von: public-lld-request@w3.org [mailto:public-lld-request@w3.org] Im Auftrag von Young,Jeff (OR)
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 28. Oktober 2010 23:21
An: public-lld
Betreff: VIAF contributor model

 The VIAF RDF is badly in need of an update. For example, VIAF has a bad habit of assuming that “clusters” automatically map to “Person”. Upgrading it to recognize the reality of “Organization”  and perhaps a few others shouldn’t be too hard, but there are other issues worth considering.

 After closer inspection, it looks like the VIAF ontology <http://viaf.org/ontology/1.1/>  reinvents some key aspects of SKOS. It would be nice to start factoring out these misalignments ASAP. This group’s input on the possibilities would be greatly appreciated.

 Background: VIAF started out using foaf:Person for its “real world objects”, switched to skos:Concept, and was starting to wobble back to foaf:Person. At that point, the decision was made to identify both for the sake of argument:

 http://viaf.org/viaf/102333412/#foaf:Person

 http://viaf.org/viaf/102333412/#skos:Concept

 It was far from clear at the time whether both made sense, separate identity was necessary, or what property should be used to connect them.

 At the F2F, Martin Malmsten (who is involved with contributions to VIAF via SELIBR) pointed out the new foaf:focus element that seems to do a very good job of rationalizing for the connection.

 http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_focus

 Like VIAF, SELIBR also coins URIs for foaf:Person and skos:Concept and this seems like a good model for other contributors and VIAF itself to follow.

 I’m also inclined to believe that skos:ConceptScheme should be used to differentiate different “sources” in VIAF. This could and probably should be done regardless of whether the contributors understand or publish SKOS themselves. The attached UML is intended to show how this could be conceptualized. This presumably requires some explanation, but hopefully a picture is worth a thousand words.

 I’m also pretty convinced that the http://viaf.org/ontology/1.1/#Heading class needs to be bound to skosxl:Label class in some way (rdfs:subClassOf?). I don’t think it can completely go away, though, because of inconvenient restrictions on the skosxsl:prefLabel and skosxl:altLabel.

 Thoughts or questions?

 Jeff

 ---

 Jeffrey A. Young
 Software Architect
 OCLC Research, Mail Code 410
 OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc.
 6565 Kilgour Place
 Dublin, OH 43017-3395
 www.oclc.org <http://www.oclc.org>

 Voice: 614-764-4342