Antw: Re: Citation Cluster

Hello,

I only had a quick look at the wiki and I am really excited that you
start working with citations. I think it is very important for the
library community to think about representing citations and other
explicit references between scholarly works. What surprised me when I
looked at the wiki was that I didn't find a reference to the Citation
Typing Ontology and related efforts in Semantic Publishing.

There has already been some great work done by David Shotton et al. on
Citation Typing in RDF and Semantic Publishing in general. The Citation
Typing Ontology (CiTO)[1] is now two years old and has been worked on
much during this time. For more information, the most up-to-date text
about this can be found at [2].

Shotton et al. are working on a collection of ontologies for semantic
publishing (SPAR ontologies) which deals with more than only citation
typing. Next to CiTO you'll find Fabio (FRBR aligned bibliographic
ontology), BiRO (Bibliographic Reference Ontology, the Citation Counting
and Context Characterization Ontology (C4O) and many others who haven't
been developed yet.

FYI, I collect references on semantic publishing here:[3].
Citation-related references can be found under [4].

Adrian

[1] http://purl.org/net/cito/

[2]
http://opencitations.wordpress.com/2010/10/14/introducing-the-semantic-publishing-and-referencing-spar-ontologies/

[3] http://www.bibsonomy.org/user/acka47/semanticpublishing

[4] http://www.bibsonomy.org/user/acka47/citation

Adrian Pohl
Direktionsassistenz (Manager's assistant)
hbz - Hochschulbibliothekszentrum des Landes NRW
Tel: (+49)(0)221 - 400 75 235
http://www.hbz-nrw.de

>>> Kai Eckert <kai@informatik.uni-mannheim.de> 09.12.2010 14:14 >>>
Dear Barbara,

yes and no. While the representation looks more or less the same and
probably an existing vocabulary can be reused, it is in our opinion
important to distinguish between the citation of a resource and the
resource itself.  We tried to motivate this in the cluster document.

First, there might be the need to represent citations without having a

proper URI at hand to identify the resource. We think that the
citation,
as it is found in a bibliography, should be representable as a resource

of its own.

Second, there are a lot of statements that can be made about the
citation that can not be assigned to the cited resource directly. For
example that location of the citation in the citing document, the part

of the cited document that is cited and so on.

But of course, the main goal in a linked data setting should be to
esatblish a link between the citation and the actually cited resource.

And I agree, it might be the best way to immediately create a
BibliographicResource for each citation (assumed that not something
like
a dataset is cited) and assign a local URI, if no global is known, but

these are implementation details.

I hope that clarifies our rationale so far, we are far away from an
actual implementation, this is just a first summary of the things that

we extracted from the scenarios in the cluster.

Cheers,

Kai

Am 09.12.2010 13:51, schrieb Tillett, Barbara:
> Why is "citation" not just an application of using bibliographic data
that identifies a bibliographic entity?  Isn't the bibliographic data
part (separate from the relationship information connecting the cited
work and the citing work) the same as in a bibliographic record (granted
less)? - Barbara

> Barbara B. Tillett, Ph.D.
> Chief, Policy&  Standards Division
> Library of Congress
> 101 Independence Ave., SE
> Washington, D.C. 20540-4260
> U.S.A.
> tel: +1 (202) 707-4714
> fax: +1 (202) 707-6629
> email: btil@loc.gov

Behalf Of Kai Eckert
> Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2010 3:02 AM
> To: public-xg-lld; public-lld@w3.org
> Subject: Citation Cluster
>
> Dear all,
>
> Ed, Peter and I further worked on the curation of the citation
cluster and as promised (ACTION delivered), I now created a wiki page: