Re: Property-name scoping

From: glenn mcdonald <glenn@furia.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 17:29:20 -0400
To: Patrick Logan <patrickdlogan@gmail.com>
Cc: Linked JSON <public-linked-json@w3.org>

> The use of the term "scope" is itself innappropriate for the current
> system. If you want a hierarchical data structuring mechanism then you want
> something altogether different. This difference is not a simple matter of
> "property scope" - you will have to toss a number of features of the current
> system. Maybe that meets your needs, but it is a huge change. Better to
> begin a whole new set of standards with clearly expressed goals, I would
> say... the differences are to the core of the current standards.

You're kind of rephrasing the question: what *are* the goals here? Is
JSON-LD a RDF serialization, or a convention for representing graphs in
JSON, or something else? If it's strictly an RDF serialization, then I
probably don't care about it, but I thought the whole point of "JSON-LD" as
a new effort distinct from the RDF/JSON working group was to reopen
precisely this question, so that it might be answered in a way that would
lead to significantly simpler and more accessible spec...