Re: Section 4: LDPR/non-LDPR formal definitions

On 3/25/13 3:54 PM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> On 25 Mar 2013, at 19:43, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>> What's wrong with media type: application/ld+turtle, application/ldp+turtle or whatever else to end this most recursive line of discussion and debate?
> What's an LDP client supposed to do when it sees, say, a document that professes to be an ldp:Container, but is served using text/turtle? I suppose it would have to treat it as an opaque document, and not treat it as an LDP container?

This really depends on if the LDP client understands RDF. You see, even
your question can't (at this point) generate a clear answer from an LDP
perspective.

A Linked Data client would at the very least understand that it was
working with an entity relationship graph where each component of the
graph is denoted using a de-referencable URI. Subject to reasoning
capability, the aforementioned client would draw further inference from
the vocabularies that constrain said graph.

> And what's an LDP server supposed to do when clients ask for text/turtle? Given that content negotiation is optional in LDP (and should remain so, to keep minimalistic servers possible), I suppose that many LDP server would have to refuse the request?

Subject to the capabilities of the LDP server, more than likely a 406.

A Linked Data server will typically handle content negotiation or simply
return 406.

> The result would be that you're bifurcating the RDF world into a part that only handles text/ldp+turtle, and another part that only handles text/turtle, for no good reason.

Good point!

I am not trying to do that, as per my initial comments [1] about this
matter. I am pushing a compromise scenario where RDF-Linked-Data-Heavy
tools that already know what to do with text/turtle just continue as is
i.e., they already *implicitly* treat text/turtle as an RDF based Linked
Data media type anyway. Developers of these tools (ourselves included)
can handle another media type that for all intents and purposes receives
the very same treatment we currently give to text/turtle.

My concern is more to do with those who seek to be much more specific
about media types and associated link semantics. There is a good case to
be made for an IANA media type for RDF based Linked Data. Personally, I
strongly believe that TimBL's Linked Data meme [2] should have been used
as the basis for creating this critically missing media type.

As is always the case with this RDF, Linked Data, and Semantic Web
journey, we need to call on the wisdom of Solomon. Thus, I would rather
accept a new RDF based Linked Data media type than sit back and let the
conflation driven confusion of yore persist, detrimentally.

> In reality, clients would probably tend to ignore the media type coming from the server, because of misconfigured servers that send text/ldp+turtle when they should send text/turtle, or vice versa.

Yes-ish, but isn't that how things are today -- even amongst those that
are heavy RDF and RDF based Linked Data true believers?

> I don't see how anybody wins in this scenario.

Wisdom of Solomon is the only way out, so anything to save the life of
the baby will do :-)

Methinks, existing implementers of RDF based Linked Data solutions
(relatively few in the grand scheme of things) are best positioned to
compromise in this particular scenario.

Links:

1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ldp/2013Mar/0036.html --
outlining the expected behavior for RESTafari and RDF heavy types.
2. http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html -- TimBL's Linked Data
meme.

> Best,
> Richard