Re: Updated LD Patch specification

On 11/25/2014 02:16 PM, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
> Re. "RDF Graph" vs. "RDF Source" : very well spotted. Indeed, RDF 1.1
> Concepts insists on the fact that a graph is a mathematical set, hence
> not something that can be modified... However, changing the spec to
> replace "the target graph" by something like "the state of the target
> RDF source" would make it harder to read.
>
> If I read RDF 1.1 Concepts on that topic, it says:
>
>   Since RDF graphs
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-rdf-graph> are defined as
> mathematical sets, adding or removing triples
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-rdf-triple> from an RDF
> graph yields a different RDF graph.
>
> So it does, in a way, endorse the language "adding or removing triples
> from a graph", right ? :)

Just think of graphs like numbers.    You can subtract from a number but
you cannot decrement a number.  (Rather, you decrement a variable.)

And, of course, we're all familiar with immutable data structures.
Graphs are necessarily immutable in the RDF model.

The intent of the term "RDF Source" was to capture the idea of a
Resource whose state is an RDF Graph.

        -- Sandro