Re: ISSUE-37: short description of model

From: Roger Menday <Roger.Menday@uk.fujitsu.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 11:29:57 +0000
CC: "public-ldp-wg@w3.org Working Group" <public-ldp-wg@w3.org>
To: Erik Wilde <Erik.Wilde@emc.com>

>>> is there a reason why these variants are so focused on "outgoing arcs"? i
>>> am really just wondering about this, because it is rather prominent. i
>>> may
>>> misunderstand the intent, but to me this is a bit against REST, which
>>> just
>>> talks about self-describing resources representing state, and doesn't
>>> really care whether the representation is state local to the resource,
>>> outgoing arcs, or a mix.
>> An "arc" can have a scalar at the end of it OR an another resource.
>> We did start these descriptions using the word "link", but, that seems to
>> kind of exclude scalars. So, we chose "arc" instead - but, it seems that
>> the "arc" word can also be interpreted as excluding scalars :( !
>> To be clear, we are using "arc" to mean properties/attributes as well as
>> links.
>
> thanks for the explanation. i am still struggling a bit with the
> terminology, though. asked differently: if you are specifically talking
> about "outgoing arcs" instead of just talking about a self-describing
> representation of a resource's state, what it is that you want to exclude?

hi Erik,

Our "self-describing representation of a resource's state" is Linked Data.
'Resources with their outgoing arcs' is Linked Data (or RDF), in the same way that 'Documents with their outgoing arcs' is HTML. I like that analogy a lot. Do you ?

I've revised the first definition::
-
The LDP protocol provides the mechanism to observe and evolve state via interaction with the constituent Linked Data resources through their outgoing arcs.
-

Roger