Re: Question regarding POST versus PUT for creating an LDPC

On Apr 19, 2013, at 09:21, Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com> wrote:

> On 19/04/13 07:01, Henry Story wrote:
>>
>> On 18 Apr 2013, at 23:51, Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@us.ibm.com
>> <mailto:lehors@us.ibm.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> All the spec currently says on this is:
>>>
>>> 4.4.6 LDPR servers /MAY/ choose to allow the creation of new resources
>>> using HTTP PUT.
>>>
>>> Which I read as trying to discourage this practice although it's not
>>> quite that clear. What you're describing only makes me want to add
>>> something like the following to reinforce that thought! :-)
>>>
>>> LDPR clients SHOULD NOT try to create new resources using HTTP PUT.
>>

>> +1
>
> -1
>
> Example 1:
>
> A container of colors.
>
> I want to add an entry for "black" and I want the name to
> be /colors/black.
>
> PUTting to /colors/black and then linking seems a natural way to do that.
>
> I don't want container generated names - I want to control the name.

How is this different from POSTing to container /colors/ with a Slug of 'black'?

If the server respects the slug, you get what you want.  If it doesn't, you were never going to get the URL you desire anyway.

Regards,
Dave
--
http://about.me/david_wood