Re: Question regarding POST versus PUT for creating an LDPC

On 19/04/13 14:25, David Wood wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2013, at 09:21, Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 19/04/13 07:01, Henry Story wrote:

>>> +1
>>
>> -1
>>
>> Example 1:
>>
>> A container of colors.
>>
>> I want to add an entry for "black" and I want the name to
>> be /colors/black.
>>
>> PUTting to /colors/black and then linking seems a natural way to do that.
>>
>> I don't want container generated names - I want to control the name.
>

> How is this different from POSTing to container /colors/ with a Slug of 'black'?

Generally: the suggestion was to advise strongly again using PUT to
create.  But that's a natural use of HTTP.  We seem to be creating a
general framework in abstract discussion, and then rolling that that
back over existing patterns.

So why is PUT to create bad whereas PUT to replace is good?

On 18/04/13 22:23, Wilde, Erik wrote:
 > yes. supporting unconstrained PUT (PUT into the universe of all
 > possible URIs) doesn't make a whole lot of sense. supporting PUT into
 > some constrained URI space may make sense, but that space needs to be
 > defined somehow, at least in a way that a client has a reasonable
 > chance to come up with a URI that will actually work.

On 17/04/13 11:38, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:> If the client knows or has
control over the name of the resource to be
 > created, it should PUT the contents to the new location. There are
 > several problems with this caveat:
(then Eric has a list of two things for one caveat :-)

The space is everything under http://host/colors/ -- it's delegating
that space of names and security stops any other role messing with that.
Documentation, if nothing else, tells you the scope of URIs.

Specifically:  In Atom, "Slug:" is a hint. Common usage is to uniquify
the generated name and works well for the blogging case but that's not
what this is.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ldp-wg/2013Jan/0028.html

(RFC 5023, section 9.7)

> If the server respects the slug, you get what you want.  If it doesn't, you were never going to get the URL you desire anyway.

An indication of rejection is better than 200 and mutating the URI.

Are we limiting LDPR's to ALWAYS be in exactly one container?  I suppose
with no standardized ability to link, it's less of an issue for V1.

	Andy