Re: Question regarding POST versus PUT for creating an LDPC

On 19/04/13 07:01, Henry Story wrote:

> On 18 Apr 2013, at 23:51, Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@us.ibm.com
> <mailto:lehors@us.ibm.com>> wrote:
>
>> All the spec currently says on this is:
>>
>> 4.4.6 LDPR servers /MAY/ choose to allow the creation of new resources
>> using HTTP PUT.
>>
>> Which I read as trying to discourage this practice although it's not
>> quite that clear. What you're describing only makes me want to add
>> something like the following to reinforce that thought! :-)
>>
>> LDPR clients SHOULD NOT try to create new resources using HTTP PUT.
>

> +1

-1

Example 1:

A container of colors.

I want to add an entry for "black" and I want the name to
be /colors/black.

PUTting to /colors/black and then linking seems a natural way to do that.

I don't want container generated names - I want to control the name.

Because next I want to create a special entry "black400" for "400%
Registration Black" (which is used in commercial printing).  But as a
general container for colors, there is no need to encode knowledge of
commercial printing naming.

Example 2:

The WMO (World Meteorological Organisation) publishes code lists,
currently as books and PDFs maybe soon as linked data.  The code items
exist and the names are fixed.  Client-side control of URI is very
important to them.

/0-20-086/6 is the code for "slush"

/C-6/001 is the code for the unit "meters" ... and it must be 001, not 1.

	Andy