Re: Scope of the Use Cases & Requirements document

Arnaud,

Yes - actually I agree.  If we have the option to create a primer document then that _would_ be a much better home for the examples. I think good examples are really important, and that people _are_ more likely to look for them in a primer than a use-case document.

A good place to make the cut would be to describe the HTTP interactions in UCR and leave it at that.

If you create a skeleton primer document I'd be happy to transplant the detailed examples out of the UCR.

Thanks, Steve.

On 19 Oct 2012, at 23:03, Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I started reviewing the Use Cases & Requirements (UCR) draft [1] more carefully and, while I'm impressed by the work Steve Battle put into it and can only thank him again for that, I have to say that I've got the feeling that it is going too far.

Out of necessity UCR has become a bit of a bucket for examples and issues while we're trying to figure out what is, and is not, consistent with the spec.

> What I see in the UCR is not only a description of the problems to be solved but also a detailed description of what the solution should look like along with an analysis of what the spec provides and doesn't provide today. I don't think all of this belongs to the UCR.

Concerning the issues discussed in UCR, I'd rather leave them in for now, but eventually these could be dropped as they become non-issues.

> This is NOT to say that I think we should throw away some of this stuff. I really think it is very helpful to have all this but I'm starting to think that we may want to move some of the content to a different document, like a primer or something like that. It also seems to me that the scenarios provide a good basis for developing our test suite which we need to talk about that at the F2F.

Absolutely.

> Steve, feel free to yell at me for not having brought this up earlier but I'd like us to discuss on Monday's call whether we need to rescope the document somehow.

Better late than never :)

> Best regards.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2012/ldp/wiki/Use_Cases_And_Requirements
> --
> Arnaud  Le Hors - Software Standards Architect - IBM Software Group

Steve Battle

--
Steve Battle
Semantic Engineer

E-mail: steve.battle@sysemia.co.uk
Web: www.sysemia.com

Sysemia Limited
The Innovation Centre, Bristol&  Bath Science Park, Dirac Crescent, Emerson's Green, Bristol BS16 7FR
Registered in England and Wales. Company Number: 7555456

DISCLAIMER

Information contained in this e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee only, and is confidential and may also be privileged. If you receive this message in error, please advise us immediately. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Attachments to this e-mail may contain software viruses which may damage your systems. Sysemia Ltd have taken reasonable steps to minimise this risk, but we advise that any attachments are virus checked before they are opened.