Re: Technical Challenges session

My2c.

I don't think Linked Data can be presented as a technical challenge; it
is rather one possible solution to a technical challenge, which is the
integration and linkage of independent and heterogeneous open data.

The comment from Andreas ("I plan to show mostly demos with
single-source data (as the majority of currently available apps fall
into this category)") seems to raise the issue of using multiple sources
into a single application. This means not only data integration, but
also reliability of sources, uniform access, fast connections.

Another big challenge is data quality. I think we all agree that we
cannot expect open data to be published in pedantic RDF (I just attended
a talk by Axel Polleres on this topic), but below a threashold it can be
too difficult to reuse and mash-up data. Not to mention data freshness,
trust, provenance.

A third idea could be fine-grained data access and control. It must be
possible to represent clear access policies and even machine-readable
licences on how data can be used under what conditions. And this in a
scenario with many different legal systems.

A final (obvious) point, which is of course related to the issues above,
is the creation of a shared collection of good practices in publishing
open data. This would be very helpful for data administrators and for
developers.

Best, Paolo

--
Paolo Bouquet, University of Trento