W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-ws@w3.org > February 2003

RE: [WSTF] Teleconference notes...

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 18:41:41 -0500
Message-Id: <4.2.0.58.J.20030218182310.0551a9f8@localhost>
To: "Addison Phillips [wM]" <aphillips@webmethods.com>, <public-i18n-ws@w3.org>

Notes from the meeting on 2003-02-18.
Started 18:00, ended 18:23 (EST)

Present: Deb, Takao, Martin (notes)
Regrets: Addison, Kentaro

We decided to have our next meeting next week
(2003-02-25), and then bi-weekly after that.

We talked a bit about fault/error messages.
Just returning text (as Soap does) is not sufficient.
But returning just some structured information may also
not work in some case:
   - (Martin) server may have texts specific to the errors it causes
     available in many languages; client may deal with very
     many servers with different functionality and may not be
     able to convert all errors to textual form; also, it may
     be a lot of waste of time and money if different clients
     independently translate error messages.
   - (Deb) very thin client
   - (Deb) email sent back to client (cannot be formatted anymore)

Regards,   Martin.

At 13:12 03/02/12 -0800, Addison Phillips [wM] wrote:

>Sorry about the delay on these. I thought I had sent them.
>
>Attending: Martin, Kentaroh, Mike, Tex, Deb, Takao, Addison (chair, scribe)
>
>1. Need to discuss use case document promotion and requirements document 
>structure.
>2. no actions outstanding
>3. Addison reports on chartering proposal: it will take 6 months to 
>recharter if we decide we need it. Need AC rep approval. Might go slightly 
>faster, but really this should be an accurate time frame. IPRes statement 
>would become important (patent knowledge). We would need to enumerate our 
>specific activities... high level of work specificity. The definition 
>should also hint and what is not included/beyond scope
>
>4. Martin attended FTF WSDL, WS-Arch.
>   - learned about group's activities
>   - presented our work to both.
>   - supportive chairs
>   - someone has read our Usage docs...
>   - generally they understand they have a "context" problems, incl. 
> security, etc.
>   - groups not yet thinking about/actiing on context problems.
>   - WSDL generally agreed upon
>
>5. Discussion.
>
>Possibility: Should we propose the problem and requirements to WS-Arch? 
>"Hey, go make us a context mechanism!" Maybe go to SOAP and WSDL directly 
>instead. WS-Arch may not be very solid, tend to be nebulous and not make 
>definitive standards.
>
>-Addison to send link to Requrirements template again {ap->group}
>-timeline for our TF is about 1 year/2 years.
>-Need to do some reorg on Usage scenarios, fix up requirements document.
>-We need to address our comments to XMLP/SOAP related to SOAPFault again.
>-Deb to write initial requirements for next meeting.
>-Question: is ws-arch non-normative? We got the feeling that this is the case.
>-WS-Choreography: we need to create usage scenarios for this.
>-Mike: talked about complex transaction processing. He will work on some 
>scenarios with Deb. "What do we think the protocol should be?"
>-Tex: to look at WSDL for further usage scenarios
>-AP: will add link to membership on main page
>-KN: will just add usage scenarios on suggestion from the list
>-KN: (action) will number the scenarios separate from the automagic index 
>number so that we can track them with a stable identifier.
>-AP: will schedule next bridge dates (Mar/Apr).
>
>
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: public-i18n-ws-request@w3.org
> > [mailto:public-i18n-ws-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of Addison Phillips [wM]
> > Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 4:27 PM
> > To: public-i18n-ws@w3.org
> > Subject: [WSTF] REMINDER: Teleconference Tomorrow...
> >
> >
> >
> > W3C-I18N-WG Web Services TF teleconference [WSTF]
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------
> > -----------
> > Bridge   : +1-617-761-6200 (Zakim) with conference code 4186
> > (spells "I18N")
> > Duration : 60 minutes
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------
> > -----------
> > SCHEDULE CHANGED FOR NEW YEAR!!!
> > Day      : Tuesday
> > Dates    : 4, 18 February
> > Start    : 23:00 GMT, 18:00 Eastern, 15:00 Pacific, 08:00 Tokyo
> > (next day!)
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------
> > -----------
> > Zakim information    : http://www.w3.org/2002/01/UsingZakim
> > Zakim bridge monitor : http://www.w3.org/1998/12/bridge/Zakim.html
> > Zakim IRC bot        : http://www.w3.org/2001/12/zakim-irc-bot.html
> > Zakim Calendar entry :
> > http://www.w3.org/Guide/1998/08/teleconference-calendar#s_731
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------
> > -----------
> >
> > REMINDER: the next scheduled teleconference for the WSTF is
> > tomorrow. If you have not used the W3C teleconference bridge
> > previously, please review the links above for instructions (it's
> > very easy).
> >
> > SUMMARY: This should be an important meeting, in which we discuss
> > progress towards creating a requirements document, consider our
> > options in rechartering, and consider other business.
> >
> > Agenda for 4 February meeting
> > =============================
> >     o Discuss Agenda.
> >     o Discuss Action Items.
> >     o What Addison learned about rechartering
> >     o What Martin learned at WS FTF in Scottsdale
> >     o Discuss requirements gathering and locale/i18n context
> >
> > Pending Action Items
> > ====================
> >     * Organize calendar of activities [Addison]... pending
> >     * Publish a very rough requirements container [Addison]... complete
> >
> > Talk to you then!
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Addison
> >
> > Addison P. Phillips
> > Director, Globalization Architecture
> > webMethods, Inc.
> >
> > +1 408.962.5487  mailto:aphillips@webmethods.com
> > -------------------------------------------
> > Internationalization is an architecture. It is not a feature.
> >
> > Chair, W3C I18N WG Web Services Task Force
> > http://www.w3.org/International/ws
> >
Received on Wednesday, 19 February 2003 10:29:19 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:12:52 GMT