Re: New version of requirements...

Addison,

Thanks for all the work you did. It reads much better and is more to the
point. I'll try to make a more detailed pass over it this evening.

1) It is perhaps too much work now, but it would be very nice if the
each requirement referenced the relevant scenario(s) in the scenario
document. That would help people understand the justification for the
requirement as well as tie in the other work. I wouldn't include any
text, just add links at the end of each requirement. (e.g. see scenarios
link1, link2.)

2) The headings are now much clearer. I might change r005 to be
"Standard for Locale Identification" or "Standardized Approach to Locale
Identification".

3) I wonder how web service designers will be able to know which
international considerations they must take into account when designing
or describing their services. I suggest there might be a requirement for
Guidelines for Web Services Internationalization to accompany the other
requirements.

I think anyone reading the other requirements will have this question,
so it is worth addressing and it paves the way for our future tasks...

Very good work Addison!

hth

tex

"Addison Phillips [wM]" wrote:

> All:
>
> I have incorporated Tex's comments, done another round of wordsmithing, and uploaded the results.
>
> Following Tex's suggestion, I have split the requirements into problem statement and requirement, which has meant very extensive revision of some of the requirements and the addition of a fair amount of text. The result, I think, is much clearer to external readers.
>
> I have tried to be as generic as possible in setting up the requirements, but at least a couple of them are now fairly specific. Please take a close look at the new version (online now at http://www.w3.org/International/ws/ws-i18n-requirements-edit/ in both HTML and XML formats).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Addison
>
> Addison P. Phillips
> Director, Globalization Architecture
> webMethods | Delivering Global Business Visibility
> http://www.webMethods.com
> Chair, W3C Internationalization (I18N) Working Group
> Chair, W3C-I18N-WG, Web Services Task Force
> http://www.w3.org/International
>
> Internationalization is an architecture.
> It is not a feature.

Making e-Business Work Around the World