Re: First preview of PDF rendering of BP

Richard Ishida wrote:

> Here are some things I noticed:

Thanks. My question is -- are those style guidelines mandatory for PDF
documents targeted for print or only for Web documents? I'm asking
because my goal was to produce something which can be easily printed and
then red from paper. See detailed comments bellow:

> - the W3C house style uses blue for headings

Blue color when printed on BW printer is less dense (and thus less
readable) then red color.

> - it also uses a different blue for links

I was thinking about not distinguishing links by color at all. Would
this be acceptable?

> - the bp summaries (on blue background) don't have a blue background, or
> some other mechanism to make them stand out clearly from the rest of the
> prose

Using background color in BW print is waste of toner and it
significantly decreases readability. Summaries are shown in bold italics
to make them stand out.

> - the links at the end of the resources section to the technique index and
> the topic index are missing - these are important, since they will provide
> up to date information on a given topic.

Those links are repeated after each BP, so it occured to me that while
they are useful when you browse BPs on-line, their value on dead tree is
mainly in occuping space. But I can put them back, or we can add those
two links alternatively into the references at the end of the BP doc.

> - the title of the Resources subsections should probably be bolded if you
> are not going to add background colour.

Good catch, I will correct this.

> - finally, I guess you're aware that the final for-publication version will
> look different at the top of the document (vertical  text to the left and no
> information about change marks etc.)

The content is pulled from XHTML rendering, so whatever will be in final
version it will be in PDF. I think that for PDF versions ordinary W3C
logo instead CSS background-image is often used.