W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its@w3.org > July to September 2006

[I18N ITS] Teleconference Minutes 2006-08-30

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 00:31:17 +0900
Message-ID: <44F5AF45.5090503@w3.org>
To: public-i18n-its@w3.org
... are at http://www.w3.org/2006/08/30-i18nits-minutes.html and below
as text.


Felix


   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                        i18n ITS working group

30 Aug 2006

   [2]Agenda

      [2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2006JulSep/0118.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2006/08/30-i18nits-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Andrzej, Christian, Felix, Sebastian, Yves

   Regrets
          Richard

   Chair
          Yves

   Scribe
          Felix

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]action items / on terminology change proposal
         2. [6]inhertiance with terms
         3. [7]other action items
         4. [8]f2f meeting
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <YvesS> Hi Felix, it is really good to have you back :)

   Hi Yves, sorry for the long absence, I missed a lot

   Maybe some explanations will change my confusion

   ;)

   <YvesS> not really: we missed you. and didn't do much anyway

   <YvesS> Could you regenerate the Report sometime soon. Things may be
   clearer when looking at the latest changes in the bugs.

   o.k. it might take until tomorrow though since I have another
   meeting (3 hours) after ITS :(

   but I'll do it as the first thing tomorrow

   <YvesS> sure no problem.

action items / on terminology change proposal

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to look where WD need to be changed for adding
   term="yes|no" (DONE) [recorded in
   [10]http://www.w3.org/2006/08/30-i18nits-minutes.html#action01]

   Yves: done, but I need to add a change for the local usage of
   its:term

   email thread between Yves and Felix at
   [11]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2006JulSep/0
   267.html

     [11]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2006JulSep/0267.html

   [12]http://www.w3.org/TR/its/#selection-defaults-etc

     [12] http://www.w3.org/TR/its/#selection-defaults-etc

   Felix: The formulation of inheritance for terminology is different
   than inheritance for e.g. translatabiliy

   Yves: that is a different issue

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to add a bugzilla entry on inheritance issues
   with terminology [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2006/08/30-i18nits-minutes.html#action02]

   Felix: agree with the change on terminology, question is whether the
   group would be willing to take the risk of a substantive change?

   (discussion of the question from Felix)

   agreement to make the change

   definition of substantive change is at
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/process.html#substant
   ive-change

     [14]
http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/process.html#substantive-change

   "A substantive change (whether deletion, inclusion, or other
   modification) is one where someone could reasonably expect that
   making the change would invalidate an individual's review or
   implementation experience. "

   Yves: agreement to make the change by all

   <YvesS> <p> Text <term>term in <b>bold</b></term>...</p>

inhertiance with terms

   <YvesS> <p> Text <term>term in <b
   its:term="no">bold</b></term>...</p>

   <YvesS> <p> Text <term>term in <b
   its:term="yes">bold</b></term>...</p>

   <rahtz> <term its:term="no">term in <b
   its:term="yes">bold</b></term>

   Felix: what is the use case of local its:term="no" ?

   Yves: e.g. a local override for globally "this is a term" selected
   markup

   <rahtz> <term>term in <b its:term="yes">bold</b> hello</term>

   Yves: Sebastian's example would be two terms

   <rahtz> <term><kw>hoover</kw></term>

   <rahtz> <foo its:term="yes"><bar its:term="no">hello</bar></foo>

   <rahtz> <foo its:term="yes"><bar its:term="yes">hello</bar></foo>

   <chriLi> I'll be back in a minute

   Sebastian: you can always take an element with all its textual
   content and say "this is a term"

   <rahtz> <kw>2<sup>nd</sup></kw?

   Felix: there is no inheritance here

   Yves: the selection mechanism is different here: the whole content
   is not overriden
   ... there is a need to change the processing expectations

   [15]http://www.w3.org/People/fsasaki/archforms-css-rdf

     [15] http://www.w3.org/People/fsasaki/archforms-css-rdf

   Figure 7

   appliesTo = attribute appliesTo { "onlyElements" |
   "elementsAndAttributes" | "none" }

   Felix: that solved the problem in my implementation

   Yves: in the case of term, it would be "none"?

   Felix: yes

   Yves: we need to change this in the table in sec. 6.1

   <scribe> ACTION: Everybody to think about how to make a change to
   the table in sec. 6.1 to accomodate the case of interitance="no"
   [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2006/08/30-i18nits-minutes.html#action03]

other action items

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to get DocBook feedback from Norm (POSTPONED)
   [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2006/08/30-i18nits-minutes.html#action04]

f2f meeting

   Yves: only me and Felix come to Boulder
   ... Felix proposed to have a zakim bridge for the three days, 8
   hours each day
   ... I was concerned about the time difference and thought about a
   meeting at the beginning

   Sebastian: more than one hour is not feasable

   Felix: I'm only concerned about the delay
   ... would it be possible to have two hours each day?

   Sebastian: have to check

   Christian: maybe not

   Yves: how about scheduling the call and see who can come?

   Felix: sure

   Sebastian: so we have the same time as the regular call for three
   days, two hours?

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Everybody to thing about how to make a change to the
   table in sec. 6.1 to accomodate the case of interitance="no"
   [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2006/08/30-i18nits-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: Felix to add a bugzilla entry on inheritance issues
   with terminology [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2006/08/30-i18nits-minutes.html#action02]

   [POSTPONED] ACTION: Yves to get DocBook feedback from Norm [recorded
   in [20]http://www.w3.org/2006/08/30-i18nits-minutes.html#action04]

   [DONE] ACTION: Yves to look where WD need to be changed for adding
   term="yes|no" [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2006/08/30-i18nits-minutes.html#action01]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [22]scribe.perl version 1.127
    ([23]CVS log)
    $Date: 2006/08/30 15:27:14 $

     [22] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [23] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Received on Wednesday, 30 August 2006 15:31:37 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:43:08 UTC