RE: On language tags

At 23:59 06/02/22, Yves Savourel wrote:

 >Hi Felix,
 >
 >Wouldn't xml:lang be upgraded at some point to use RFC-3066 bis?

The XML Recommendation already IS upgraded to use RFC3066bis.
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-lang-tag says:

The values of the attribute are language identifiers as defined by
[IETF RFC 3066], Tags for the Identification of Languages, or its
successor; in addition, the empty string MAY be specified.

RFC 3066bis is the successor of RFC 3066. It already has been
approved by the IESG, and the IANA has already put the new
registry in place, so you can already use RFC 3066bis tags
in xml:lang now, if you need.

The XML Recommendation may at some point in time be upgraded to
say "as defined by [IETF RFC 3066bis], Tags for Identifying
Languages, or its successor" (with the new RFC number, of course),
but that's not urgent at all.

Regards,    Martin.