Bengali Writing Styles

From: Goutam Kumar Saha <goutam.k.saha@cdackolkata.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 05:00:12 +0530 (IST)
To: member-i18n-its@w3.org
Cc: public-i18n-its@w3.org

Dear Colleagues,
Please note the following writing styles in Bengali:
1.  for abbreviation in case of non-propernoun, we use a ":" after the
first letter (of a Bangla word) instead of a "." (in English),
2.  for divine (Bengali Religion-Hindu) we use the Bangla letter
(Chandrabindu) or the Unicode-09FA,
3. we recommend that for worship in Bangla (Hindu) we use Sanskrit Chant
(written
in Bangla script) should be treated as "no translate."
4. In Bangla, we use the Unicode-09F7 (or "|") in stead of "." as the
sentence final (punctuation).
5. Microsoft-XP on screen keyboard does not support the above mentioned
Bangla sentence final punctuation.

I hope this information will be useful for our ITS-WG activities.
Thanking you,
With regards,

Goutam Kumar Saha
Member w3c-its-wg

Additional Director,
Centre for Development of Advanced Computing, CDAC,
Plot- E2/1, Block-GP, Sector-V,
Saltlake Electronics Complex, Bidhannagar,
Kolkata-700091,  West Bengal, India