RE: Bengali Writing Styles

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@translate.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 15:13:19 +0200
To: <public-i18n-its@w3.org>

Thanks for the input Goutam.

> 1.  for abbreviation in case of non-propernoun, we use a ":"
> after the first letter (of a Bangla word) instead of a "."
> (in English), 2.  for divine (Bengali Religion-Hindu) we use
> the Bangla letter (Chandrabindu) or the Unicode-09FA,
> 3. we recommend that for worship in Bangla (Hindu) we use
> Sanskrit Chant (written in Bangla script) should be treated
> as "no translate."
> 4. In Bangla, we use the Unicode-09F7 (or "|") in stead of "."
> as the sentence final (punctuation).
> 5. Microsoft-XP on screen keyboard does not support the above
> mentioned Bangla sentence final punctuation.

Looking at the "content style" requirement <http://esw.w3.org/topic/its0504ReqCulturalAspects>, this Bengali examples illustrate
well, I think, an aspect that goes beyond what we have currently in the requirement. Namely very precise "writing guidelines" rather
than just a "type" of style (such 'formal' vs. 'informal').

Currently I don't think a solution could do anything beyond providing a way to label the content. Like the example at the bottom of
the wiki page shows.

This type of problem seems similar to labelling content for specific rendering. You can say a word will be 'emphasized', but it's up
to the style-sheet to decide what type of emphasis to use (bold, italics, etc.). A style could be specified, but the exact rules to
follow for that styles would be to the user to define. Wouldn't they?