W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its@w3.org > July to September 2005

Minutes I18N ITS Teleconference 2005 07 27

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:43:36 +0900
To: "public-i18n-its@w3.org" <public-i18n-its@w3.org>
Message-ID: <op.sukwmyocx1753t@ibm-60d333fc0ec>
Hi all,

Here are the minutes of the I18N ITS Teleconference 2005 07 27 [1], and  
attached to this mail.

Cheers,

Felix

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/07/27-i18n-minutes.html

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                            I18N ITS Working Group

27 Jul 2005

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2005/07/27-i18n-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Andrzej, Christian, Felix, Karunesh, Masaki, Naoyuki, Tim, Yves

   Regrets
          Richard

   Chair
          Yves

   Scribe
          Felix

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Action Items
         2. [5]Vote about publishing as a working draft
         3. [6]Other business
         4. [7]Further Action Items
     * [8]Summary of Action Items

     _________________________________________________________________

Action Items

   <scribe> ACTION: Richard to contact person from W3C about feedback
   from non-wg members. (Pending) [recorded in
   [9]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/27-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

   <scribe> ACTION: to contact person for ATOM (Pending) [recorded in
   [10]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/27-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

   <scribe> ACTION: All to make comments on to the Requirements document,
   to have it ready for publication [recorded in
   [11]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/27-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

   publication

   <YvesS>
   [12]http://www.w3.org/International/its/requirements/ChangeList.htm

     [12] http://www.w3.org/International/its/requirements/ChangeList.htm

   Yves: Let's go through the change list
   ... see if every change which is implemented has consensus

   <YvesS>
   [13]http://www.w3.org/International/its/requirements/ChangeList.htm

     [13] http://www.w3.org/International/its/requirements/ChangeList.htm

   Yves: Christian made a proposal
   ... RI, FS and me discussed it and made a slightly different proposal
   for the title
   ... now it is International Markup Requirements

   az: happy with International Markup Requirements

   Yves: CL, how about you?

   CL: I'm fine with International Markup Requirements

   Yves: agreement on the title
   ... next change: adding i18n into the text
   ... change 04:
   ... agreement in this
   ... change 05:

   Karunesh: Have a linguistic change: "it is important THAT ..."

   FS: if we have just small e.g. linguistic change proposals, we can
   still have a vote

   Yves: change 06:
   ... agreement, so change 07:
   ... agreement

   change 08: rephrase

   az: stages would be better than steps

   yves: o.k.
   ... change 09:
   ... agreement
   ... change 10: also a title change: "Software Resources" is now
   "Software Development"
   ... agreement

   change 11: rephrase

   change 12: small addition

   change 13: grammatical change

   change 14: deletion, grammatical change

   change 15: meaning itself has been changed, but is now a little bit
   clearer

   change 16: addition

   change 17: grammatical

   change 18: Japanese small addition

   change 19: style change

   change 20: grammatical and rephrasing

   az: maybe "this type" instead of "these type"

   tim: or "these types of issues"?

   az: "The mechanism should also allow THE for specification"

   yves: o.k.
   ... change 21, 22, 23: example and small additions
   ... change 24: rephrase
   ... change 25:
   ... rephrase
   ... in addition to these changes
   ... we had a discussion on the namespace
   ... some thought we should not use any namespace
   ... we decided to have a note on top of the requirement
   ... to make explicit that all examples do not denote the actual
   solution
   ... e.g. not the concrete namespace
   ... hence, in examples we removed e.g. the "its" prefix

   <chriLi> The change makes perfect sense to me.

   yves: what do we think about that?

   az: makes sense to me

   tim: makes sense to me too. But maybe we should highlight the ITS
   markup

   <chriLi> I agree with Tim: Highlighting the tags (elements,
   attributes) would be great.

   Yves: tried that, but it did not work out

   tim: would try to emphasize the parts which are important

   yves: the problem was not the usual effect
   ... but one example was completely in the usual effect

   az: it is important to highlight the important parts of the examples

   <chriLi> Could you please unmute me?

   cl: concern International Markup means markup in non-ascii chars.

   <chriLi> GILT is a nice suggestion

   fs: International Marup Req is very vague, that is good.
   ... Globalization is another possibility

   <fsasaki> Yves: two proposals: "International Markup Requirements" vs.
   "Internationalization / Localization Markup Requirements"

   <fsasaki> Karunesh: Prefer the second title

   <fsasaki> Tim: If the title makes people understand what it is about,
   that's good

   <fsasaki> .. something which explains it more than the current
   suggestion would be better

   <fsasaki> az: appreciate Christians and Felix ideas

   <fsasaki> .. I tend to the second title

   <fsasaki> .. I would vote for "Internationalization / Localization
   Markup Requirements"

   <fsasaki> .. it leads the reader straight

   <fsasaki> Naoyuki: would vote for "International Markup Requirements"

   <fsasaki> .. did not like the idea of adding "/"

   <fsasaki> .. Internationalization would be enough, instead of "/
   Localization"

   <fsasaki> Felix: could live with "Internationalization / Localization
   Markup Requirements"

   <fsasaki> Yves: we could reword it

   <chriLi> I liked Tim's suggestion for rewording

   <chriLi> Yes, let's go for AND

   <fsasaki> Yves: how about replacing slash by "and"?

   <fsasaki> Karunseh, az, Tim, cl: all agree

   <fsasaki> Yves: Consensus on "Internationalization / Localization
   Markup Requirements" as a title

   <fsasaki> Yves: any other comments on the changes?

   <fsasaki> CL: Localization is related to normalization

   <fsasaki> .. have we addressed this somewhere in the document?

   <fsasaki> Yves: normalization should be a specific requirement

   <fsasaki> az: also "canolization"

   <fsasaki> Yves: we could have a specific topic on this

   <az> canonicalization

   <fsasaki> Yves: would add entry to canolicalization if we have time

Vote about publishing as a working draft

   <fsasaki> Yves: any dissent?

   <fsasaki> Karunesh: change in "help the translators match up "
   (grammatical)

   <fsasaki> Yves: will make the change

   <fsasaki> .. so no dissent

   <fsasaki> WD should be published on 5 August

Other business

   <fsasaki> Yves: next week no meeting

   <fsasaki> .. after that the meeting starts again

   <fsasaki> Christian: Hotel issue for the f2f?

   <fsasaki> Yves: will try to have an hotel close to the ERCIM office

   <fsasaki> Felix: will make reservations, if people tell me dates for
   arrival / leave

   [14]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2005JulSep/003
   3.html

     [14] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2005JulSep/0033.html

Further Action Items

   <fsasaki> Yves: here are some closed action items

   [15]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2005JulSep/003
   4.html

     [15] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2005JulSep/0034.html

   <fsasaki> ACTION: Felix to give implemenation example for uniqueness
   (DONE) [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/27-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

   <fsasaki> ACTION: Felix to give explanation on schemas without
   namespaces (DONE) [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/27-i18n-minutes.html#action05]

   [18]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2005JulSep/002
   7.html

     [18] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2005JulSep/0027.html

   <fsasaki> ACTION: Richard to give definition on i18n and l10n from the
   GEO group (DONE) [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/27-i18n-minutes.html#action06]

   <fsasaki> ACTION: Tim to change the wording for the translatability
   req (PENDING) [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/27-i18n-minutes.html#action07]

   <fsasaki> ACTION: Yves to integrate the changes (DONE) [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/27-i18n-minutes.html#action08]

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: All to make comments on to the Requirements document, to
   have it ready for publication [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/27-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

   [PENDING] ACTION: Richard to contact person from W3C about feedback
   from non-wg members. [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/27-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Tim to change the wording for the translatability
   req [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/27-i18n-minutes.html#action07]
   [PENDING] ACTION: to contact person for ATOM [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/27-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

   [DONE] ACTION: Felix to give explanation on schemas without namespaces
   [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/27-i18n-minutes.html#action05]
   [DONE] ACTION: Felix to give implemenation example for uniqueness
   [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/27-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
   [DONE] ACTION: Richard to give definition on i18n and l10n from the
   GEO group [recorded in
   [28]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/27-i18n-minutes.html#action06]
   [DONE] ACTION: Yves to integrate the changes [recorded in
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/27-i18n-minutes.html#action08]

   [End of minutes]

     _________________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [30]scribe.perl version 1.126
    ([31]CVS log)
    $Date: 2005/07/27 15:37:45 $

     [30] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [31] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Wednesday, 27 July 2005 15:43:45 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:12:45 GMT