Re: ITS as a microformat (proposal)

2009/7/2 Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>

> Felix Sasaki wrote:
>
> >> 1) It will became visible part of document (and although it can be make
> >> unvisible in CSS, it will confuse search engines and other agents
> >> operating only on markup).
> >

> > Isn't that the same problem with other  microformats, e.g. hcard?
>
> I don't think so. You usually want to see contact information visible on
> page but at the same time marked up by uF to allow easier machine
> processing.

Valid point.

> > Not sure ... though I do not see the difference to the use case of
> shipping
> > "native" ITS rules in a seperate document - is there a difference? Or are
> > you saying that that is also no use case and users do not need to create
> > also native ITS rules for HTML?
>
> I personally do not have usecase, but I use HTML only as delivery
> format. For people who use HTML as primary content storage there might
> be story though.

Microformats themselves might be a usecase. E.g. from the hcard fragment

you do not want that translation tools present the textual content of the
these cases, you could write a translateRule for each microformat vocabulary.

> >> But it is definitively worth to create uF for local ITS data categories.
> >
> > Yes - do you have any input on the problems I mentioned at "open
> questions"
> > http://docs.google.com/View?id=dch8cn8g_20hrxhkmd8
> > ?
>
> uF are generally ugly compared to native XML. But instead of

> its:termInfoRef="referenceToTermdefinition">...</a>
>
> you can use something like

> </a>
>
> The problem is that this is invalid in HTML, AFAIK <a> element couldn't
> be nested.

Exactly. So I am looking for a microformat solution which does not create
such validation problems ...

> Re your second point I think that validation can be carried on by
> Schematron quite effectively.

If you have two values depending on each other, yes. But how would you
validate that a singular span element needs to have a class attribute with
the value "translateno" to express its:translate="no", without excluding
other values for span elements?

Felix