W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its-ig@w3.org > April 2008

i18n ITS teleconference minutes 2008-04-17

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 00:04:48 +0900
Message-ID: <48076710.4080403@w3.org>
To: public-i18n-its-ig@w3.org

... are at http://www.w3.org/2008/04/17-i18nits-minutes.html and below 
as text.

Felix

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                              i18n ITS IG

17 Apr 2008

   [2]Agenda

      [2] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its-ig/2008Apr/0002.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2008/04/17-i18nits-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Yves, Syd, Rudolpho, Andrew, Najib, Camille, Asgeir, Jim,
          Felix

   Regrets
   Chair
          Yves

   Scribe
          fsasaki

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]introduction
         2. [6]agenda review
         3. [7]IG communication / best practices
         4. [8]interest in specific implementations?
         5. [9]contribution / collaboration
         6. [10]atom discussion
         7. [11]SVG Tiny
         8. [12]reviews of formats
         9. [13]housekeeping
        10. [14]AOB
     * [15]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <najib> Hi everybody

introduction

   Yves: welcome to all!
   ... welcome to first ITS IG call

   Syd Bauman: working on womens writers project

   scribe: on integrating ITS in TEI

   Rudolpho: working on translation tools

   Asgeir: from Redhat, looking into using ITS for our translations

   Andrew: State univ. of Victoria
   ... interested in use of ITS for various language

   Jim: work at JLS church
   ... started at large single source project, interested in use of ITS
   for localization purposes

   camille: own company specialized on technical documentations, mainly
   using docbook
   ... interested in using ITS

agenda review

   Yves goes through
   [16]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its-ig/2008Apr/0
   002.html and the charter
   [17]http://www.w3.org/International/its/ig/ITSIGCharter.html

     [16] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its-ig/2008Apr/0002.html
     [17] http://www.w3.org/International/its/ig/ITSIGCharter.html

   <najib> OK

   Camille: is ITS used already on many projects?

   Yves: is used in production at least in my company, for translating
   XML documents
   ... also in other commercial projects, for example XML-INTL has a
   product which uses ITS
   ... some people are developing ITS processors as well
   ... having whose things have in place takes a long time

   Camille: so one goal of this IG is to extend the group of ITS users?

   Yves: yes

   <najib> My name is Najib Tounsi

   <najib> I work as a professor for an Engineering School at the
   University in Rabat.

   <najib> And I run the W3C Office in Morocco

   <najib> Interested in promoting ITS...

   <najib> That's all, Thanks.

IG communication / best practices

   Yves: some of us are on IRC

   <najib> Could hardly make the call.

   Yves: we figured out that everybody can be on our IRC channel
   #i18nits , so next time everybody can be on the channel, that
   communication gets easeir

   Syd: one of the goals would also be to work on best practices?

   Yves: on best practice about how to use ITS? Yves
   ... e.g. what is the best way to use XPath expressions in a certain
   context, yes

interest in specific implementations?

   Yves: who is interested in / working on specific implementations?

   interested, not implementation

   Yves: we want to start some kind of "reference implementation" so
   that people could use that
   ... your contribution would be very welcome
   ... about writing ITS, have you generated ITS rules already?

   Syd: I haven't, but interested in that

   Camille: we are starting a project about XML content management
   system
   ... might be interested in ITS implementation

   Yves: sounds very interesting

contribution / collaboration

   Yves: thought of developing a wiki for contributions

   Felix describes possibility of publishing Interest Group , and that
   examples may include ITS rules , ITS local markup and vocabularies
   which use ITS

   some attendant would be interested in a generic technique about how
   to apply ITS local markup to a new or given format

atom discussion

   Yves introduces the thread
   [18]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its-ig/2008Apr/0
   003.html

     [18] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its-ig/2008Apr/0003.html

   Yves: some aspects in this thread go a bit beyond ITS
   ... here we basically supply a mechanism which probably the i18n
   core WG will discuss

   Camille: maybe they could use a specific attribute with a different
   namespace
   ... that would solve both problems

   Yves: they probably need to revisit their assumptions
   ... not sure they they need an empty value and they they don't need
   "lro" and "rlo"

   Felix: this document is in IETF LC, we need to send feedback to IETF
   back. Will bring that to i18n core and back to IETF back

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix will bring that to i18n core and back to IETF
   back [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/17-i18nits-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot-ng> Created ACTION-65 - Will bring that to i18n core and
   back to IETF back [on Felix Sasaki - due 2008-04-24].

SVG Tiny

   Felix gives background on SVG Tiny

   <scribe> ACTION: Felix to work on usage of ITS in SVG Tiny [recorded
   in [20]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/17-i18nits-minutes.html#action02]

   <trackbot-ng> Created ACTION-66 - Work on usage of ITS in SVG Tiny
   [on Felix Sasaki - due 2008-04-24].

reviews of formats

   [21]http://www.w3.org/TR/#last-call

     [21] http://www.w3.org/TR/#last-call

   Felix: we are going through this list regularly, to see if there are
   needs for reviews

   Yves: looking for volunteers to go through "The XMLHttpRequest
   Object" and see if there is a need for ITS in it
   ... will do that to give you an idea of how we make such reviews

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to look at "The XMLHttpRequest Object" and see
   if there is a need for ITS in it [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/17-i18nits-minutes.html#action03]

   <trackbot-ng> Created ACTION-67 - Look at \"The XMLHttpRequest
   Object\" and see if there is a need for ITS in it [on Yves Savourel
   - due 2008-04-24].

housekeeping

   Yves: IRC is available for everybody , I'll send some explanation
   ... what is the best time / day for calls?
   ... is current call time OK?

   <najib> OK

   Yves: we will keep current time
   ... about the day every week - is Thursday fine for everybody

   <najib> How about a "tutorial / Getting started" on ITS?

   some problems on Thursday, Monday

   problems on Tuesday

   Wednesday taken by i18n core WG

   Friday at night bad for work

   maybe Tuesday, with coordination with other groups

   Yves: we will see if Tuesday will work

   <scribe> ACTION: Yves to send a mail about call times / days
   [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/17-i18nits-minutes.html#action04]

   <trackbot-ng> Created ACTION-68 - Send a mail about call times /
   days [on Yves Savourel - due 2008-04-24].

AOB

   Yves: next call in about a month
   ... don't hesitate to ask questions and other things
   ... thanks a lot for participation again! Talk to you again in a
   month

   <najib> quit

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Felix to work on usage of ITS in SVG Tiny [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/17-i18nits-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: Felix will bring that to i18n core and back to IETF
   back [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/17-i18nits-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: Yves to look at "The XMLHttpRequest Object" and see if
   there is a need for ITS in it [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/17-i18nits-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: Yves to send a mail about call times / days [recorded
   in [27]http://www.w3.org/2008/04/17-i18nits-minutes.html#action04]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [28]scribe.perl version 1.133
    ([29]CVS log)
    $Date: 2008/04/17 14:52:26 $

     [28] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [29] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 17 April 2008 15:05:28 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 2 June 2009 18:32:58 GMT