Re: Please review: CSS vs Markup FAQ rewrite

Richard Ishida wrote:
> Chaps,

> FAQ CSS vs. markup for bidi support [2].
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2005OctDec/0016.html
> [2] http://www.w3.org/International/questions/temp.html
> [3] http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-bidi-css-markup.html

Richard, you are still saying that XHTML documents (served as XML) should be
accompanied by a CSS sheet indicating the CSS mappings for XHTML bidi markup.
The whole point of my comment was that *this is not true*. I do not have any
objection about any other part of the document being clear, just that one
being incorrect.

XHTML is identified as being XHTML by its namespace, not its MIME type. BIDI
controls are only a small fraction of the special processing necessary for an
XHTML document to be intelligible. Without a default style sheet, not only with
the bidi markup not work, but links will not work, form controls will not
display, and all the headings and tables and lists and paragraphs will flow
into a single, massively-long inline sequence. Basically, if you're facing a
situation where you're sending XHTML to a generic XML processor that doesn't
understand its markup conventions, you've got bigger problems than just BIDI
not working. It's just like sending HTML to a generic SGML processor.

The average XHTML author will not be doing any of that, he will be sending
XHTML to an XHTML processor that understands what <a href=> and <h1> and
<bdo dir="rtl"> means. XHTML, under any MIME type, should be classified along
with HTML as not needing extra CSS, not with generic XML.

~fantasai