Re: Another Q&A? Chinese stuff

I like it alot. The examples are very nice.

For the table of differences, I would consider using color background to
highlight the differences, rather than relying on the text alongside. I would
keep that text as well.

I am not sure when you reference the GB standard whether you are refering to
2312 or the more recent 18030.
There is also a 13000 I believe which is GB for Unicode. 18030 has both simp.
and trad.
(Numbers from memory- could be wrong.)

If you convert it to Q&A, I would make it several questions. The way it is
written, each of the subsections could stand alone pretty much the way they
are. The han unification could be broken into more fundamental sections
though.

One question, is do we need to be more careful with the names of China and
Taiwan vs. PRC and ROC?
I have on occasion gotten flack for using China or Taiwan- It's a political
issue. I wonder if W3C has a policy....

I guess we need to ask the question, if we have good chunks of text
(microtutorial or whatever) does it really make sense to  break it into q&A,
or is it better to move it to the outreach or guidelines, or create another
section for "good stuff"... Good stuff, might also include tutorials,
powerpoints, and other stuff we have occasion to produce.

If we had a good stuff area, I think it would be a better use of time to
extend the tutorial with a TOC, and an index (for ease of search) and continue
to add more info on chinese characters- sorting choices, fonts, input methods,
thank to lose a week or so to convert to q&A.

Also, the iana registry now has zh-hans and zh-hant for simp. and trad.
I wonder if you should be using those instead of zh-tw, zh-cn now?

would also be a good q&a? which tags to use for chinese?
I'll claim that for my next Q&A- should be cheap!
tex

Richard Ishida wrote:

> I wrote up some stuff to answer a question someone asked of me: "What's
> the difference between Simplified & Traditional Chinese, and are they
> separate in Unicode?"
>
> http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/chinese/
>
> It's slightly different in style that what we've done so far - more like
> background info, longer, and not specific to W3C technology.
>
> Would it make a good addition to our Q&A list?
>
> If we added it, I assume / prefer we would make a copy in the standard
> Q&A format (though we should probably cross-reference the two to reduce
> confusion).
>
> What do you think?
>
> RI

> Richard Ishida