I18N-ISSUE-119: Example of the language detection fallback mechanism [HTML5-prep]

From: Internationalization Core Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 18:55:35 +0000
To: public-i18n-core@w3.org

I18N-ISSUE-119: Example of the language detection fallback mechanism [HTML5-prep]

Raised by: Addison Phillips
On product: HTML5-prep

3.2.3.3 The lang and xml:lang attributes
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/elements.html#the-lang-and-xml:lang-attributes

For this much discussed paragraph:

--
If none of the node's ancestors, including the root element, have either attribute set, but there is a pragma-set default language set, then that is the language of the node. If there is no pragma-set default language set, then language information from a higher-level protocol (such as HTTP), if any, must be used as the final fallback language instead. In the absence of any such language information, and in cases where the higher-level protocol reports multiple languages, the language of the node is unknown, and the corresponding language tag is the empty string.
--

Wouldn't an example be useful? I can imagine implementers not following what the heck we're talking about.