I18N-ISSUE-120: Non-ASCII Unicode characters in data-* [HTML5-prep]

From: Internationalization Core Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 18:57:46 +0000
To: public-i18n-core@w3.org

I18N-ISSUE-120: Non-ASCII Unicode characters in data-* [HTML5-prep]

Raised by: Addison Phillips
On product: HTML5-prep Embedding custom non-visible data with the data-* attributes

There is a note that reads:

All attributes on HTML elements in HTML documents get ASCII-lowercased automatically, so the restriction on ASCII uppercase letters doesn't affect such documents.

Later in the section there are several references to ASCII-lowercasing and ASCII-uppercasing operations. There is no discussion of how to handle non-ASCII Unicode values (the wisdom of any such appearing in this context is, of course, open). Default Unicode case folding might be a good idea here, though, if such values are expected to occur?