I18N-ISSUE-118: Explicitly unknown language [HTML5-prep]

From: Internationalization Core Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 18:54:10 +0000
To: public-i18n-core@w3.org

I18N-ISSUE-118: Explicitly unknown language [HTML5-prep]

Raised by: Addison Phillips
On product: HTML5-prep

3.2.3.3 The lang and xml:lang attributes
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/elements.html#the-lang-and-xml:lang-attributes

(lang). What does this mean:

--
If the resulting value is the empty string, then it must be interpreted as meaning that the language of the node is explicitly unknown.
--

Does an explicitly unknown language have any different effect? It might be a good idea to add text such as:

--
If the resulting value is the empty string, then it must be interpreted as meaning that the language of the node is explicitly unknown and any language specific processing that applied is implementation defined.