Re: Update to Language Tags article about extension subtags

Sorry, an earlier message should have gone to a different thread.

Anyway, while I'm at it, a few comments:

 >If you feel you really need to use these tags, you should read the
specification, rather than this article.

tags -> subtags

 >Extension and private use tags are introduced by a single letter tag,

tags -> subtags

 >or 'singleton'. The singleton for extensions is defined by the
organization that registers it.

No, the singleton is defined in the registry. It's totally possible
(although not important enough to mention in the article) that somebody
proposes an -f- extension, but gets told s/he has to take a -b- extension.

 >The singleton for private use is x. Any subtags after the singleton
can only be 8 characters in length, however you are allowed to use
multiple subtags.

"Any subtags after" -> "Like any subtags, subtags after" (to make clear
this is a general rule)

 >Extension subtags allow for extensions to the language tag. For
example, the extension subtag u has been registered by the Unicode
Consortium to add information about language or locale behaviour. Many
locale identifiers require additional "tailorings" or options for
specific values within a language, culture, region, or other variation.
This extension provides a mechanism for using these additional
tailorings within language tags for general interchange.

 >For example, the following indicates that phonebook collation order
should be used by an application:
 >de-DE-u-co-phonebk

"that phonebook collation order should be used by an application": Not
only that, but also e.g. that sorted data in a document is sorted
according to this collation, and so on.

 >The subtags that follow the u- extension and their meanings are
defined by RFC 6067 and by the Unicode Consortium in the Common Locale
Data Repository (CLDR). They are not defined by BCP 47.

I'd say "The u- extension is defined in RFC 6067, which points to the
Unicode Consortium in the Common Locale Data Repository (CLDR) for
details on the subtags that follow it." And I'd add a reference/link to
the exact document for this.

 >Private-use subtags do not appear in the subtag registry, and are
chosen and maintained by private agreement amongst parties.

Change "choosen and maintained by" to something like "may be used by"

 >Private use tags should be used with great care, and avoided whenever
possible, since they interfere with the interoperability that RFC 5646
exists to promote.

"since they interfere with the interoperability" sounds quite abstract
given the level of the rest of the document. I'd say something like
"since their meaning isn't clearly defined" or some such.

 >The following example of a private use tag

tag -> subtag

 >may identify a specific type of US English, but only within a closed
community. Outside of that private agreement, its meaning cannot be
relied upon.

I'd avoid the word "community" at all for private stuff. It's not wrong
in absolute terms, but it's too inviting and thus giving the wrong
impression.

 >en-US-x-twain

Regards,    Martin.