Re: Update to Language Tags article about extension subtags

Excellent feedback. Thanks!  Notes below...

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/

On 08/02/2011 11:09, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
> Sorry, an earlier message should have gone to a different thread.
>
> Anyway, while I'm at it, a few comments:
>
>  >If you feel you really need to use these tags, you should read the
> specification, rather than this article.
>
> tags -> subtags

done

>  >Extension and private use tags are introduced by a single letter tag,
>
> tags -> subtags

done

>  >or 'singleton'. The singleton for extensions is defined by the
> organization that registers it.
>
> No, the singleton is defined in the registry. It's totally possible
> (although not important enough to mention in the article) that somebody
> proposes an -f- extension, but gets told s/he has to take a -b- extension.
>
>  >The singleton for private use is x. Any subtags after the singleton
> can only be 8 characters in length, however you are allowed to use
> multiple subtags.
>
> "Any subtags after" -> "Like any subtags, subtags after" (to make clear
> this is a general rule)

That paragarph now reads:

Extension and private use subtags are introduced by a single letter tag,
or 'singleton'. An organization can propose a singleton for an
extension. It's intended use must be described by an RFC (IETF
specification). The singleton will be added to the registry if it
successfully passes a review. The singleton x is reserved for private
use. Multiple subtags are allowed after the singleton; however, as for
all subtags, they must each be 8 or less characters in length.

>  >Extension subtags allow for extensions to the language tag. For
> example, the extension subtag u has been registered by the Unicode
> Consortium to add information about language or locale behaviour. Many
> locale identifiers require additional "tailorings" or options for
> specific values within a language, culture, region, or other variation.
> This extension provides a mechanism for using these additional
> tailorings within language tags for general interchange.
>
>  >For example, the following indicates that phonebook collation order
> should be used by an application:
>  >de-DE-u-co-phonebk
>
> "that phonebook collation order should be used by an application": Not
> only that, but also e.g. that sorted data in a document is sorted
> according to this collation, and so on.

done

>  >The subtags that follow the u- extension and their meanings are
> defined by RFC 6067 and by the Unicode Consortium in the Common Locale
> Data Repository (CLDR). They are not defined by BCP 47.
>
> I'd say "The u- extension is defined in RFC 6067, which points to the
> Unicode Consortium in the Common Locale Data Repository (CLDR) for
> details on the subtags that follow it." And I'd add a reference/link to
> the exact document for this.

Nice. Done.

>  >Private-use subtags do not appear in the subtag registry, and are
> chosen and maintained by private agreement amongst parties.
>
> Change "choosen and maintained by" to something like "may be used by"
>
>  >Private use tags should be used with great care, and avoided whenever
> possible, since they interfere with the interoperability that RFC 5646
> exists to promote.
>
> "since they interfere with the interoperability" sounds quite abstract
> given the level of the rest of the document. I'd say something like
> "since their meaning isn't clearly defined" or some such.

I said:

Because these subtags are only meaningful within private agreements and
cannot be used interoperably across the Web, they should be used with
great care, and avoided whenever possible.

>  >The following example of a private use tag
>
> tag -> subtag

done

>  >may identify a specific type of US English, but only within a closed
> community. Outside of that private agreement, its meaning cannot be
> relied upon.
>
> I'd avoid the word "community" at all for private stuff. It's not wrong
> in absolute terms, but it's too inviting and thus giving the wrong
> impression.

Hmm. I don't understand this one.

>  >en-US-x-twain
>
> Regards, Martin.