RE: NFC in HTML5 (was: RE: Slots for Cyrillic Accented Vowels)

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 14:40:15 -0700
To: "Michael[tm] Smith" <mike@w3.org>
CC: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
[personal response]

> [quoting somebody]
> >
> > I believe that the W3C I18N WG does not support or think that it is a
> > good idea for HTML5 to require NFC--but I'm not aware of any normative
> > language in the HTML5 spec that requires it. This page [1] suggests
> > that the normalizer was added to the validator in response to
> > Charmod-Norm (which does not actually require NFC). If someone has a
> > pointer to an NFC requirement in HTML5, it would be most appreciated
> > if you could forward it to www-international@w3.org (or to me privately if
> you prefer).
>
> For the record: There is no NFC requirement in HTML5. The fact that the
> HTML5 facet of the W3C markup validator currently reports non-NFC as a error
> is a bug in the validator.nu backend that the HTML5 facet relies on.

That's what I've found. Henri Sivonen introduced this based on what I believe is a misreading of Charmod-Norm.

> I'll fix that bug and push it to the W3C markup validator next week.

Thanks.

> The fix is that the same message will be emitted but it will be a warning-level
> message instead of an error-level one -- because I'm told that's what would be
> consistent with current i18n best-practices guidance with regard to NFC.  But if
> anybody thinks the HTML5 validator should not emit a warning for non-NFC (in
> content as well as in attributes), please let me know.

I think a warning may be appropriate, since even if it were not a best practice, it is a source of potential content problems. Others in the WG may not feel the same way.

Regards,

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect (Lab126)