Re: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 09:44:31 -0500
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: public-i18n-core@w3.org, www-style@w3.org

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> HTML & XML character references and CSS character escapes would also
> allow for the same character to be represented in different forms as far
> as I can tell. (Though not quite as extreme as in JS, still basically
> the same "issue".)

Yeah, true. We have existing code in Gecko to detect situations where
such escapes create high or low UTF-16 surrogates and we disallow that.
  Would it be reasonable to also disallow insertion of combining
characters via such escapes?  Or to just not worry about the problem?

> (And then there's the bits Martin pointed out.)

What bits are those?  I couldn't make sense of what he was saying, to be
honest.  I couldn't even understand whether the thought normalization
should or should not be done...

-Boris