Re: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 12:50:56 +0100
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: public-i18n-core@w3.org, www-style@w3.org

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 17:13:07 +0100, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> One question I have is whether this issue would be resolved if a UA
> performed parse-time normalization on everything (JS, CSS, XML, HTML).
> That wouldn't completely help JS because you can build up strings
> codepoint-by-codepoint but that also lets you create invalid UTF-16
> strings, so I'm not sure it's worth worrying about right now.

HTML & XML character references and CSS character escapes would also allow
for the same character to be represented in different forms as far as I
can tell. (Though not quite as extreme as in JS, still basically the same
"issue".) Leaving that alone and only doing this parse-time seems fine
though. However, in my opinion it has not really been justified that it is
necessary in the first place.

(And then there's the bits Martin pointed out.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>